4000mah battery mod

Nov 23, 2017
My device's battery died so I tried to fit some 3rd party batteries as well as a nieuw oem battery in my z2 pro. All 3rd party batteries(3300/3500/3850mah) I tested were scams. All of them had between 2100-2300mah. The oem batteries were obviously old and didn't came near the 3000/3100mah capacity. The best one had around 2800mah.
I searched around for a while and found a battery mod to fit a LG G2 3000mah in a Nexus 5(which has a 2300mah battery).
After some further research I decided to go with a BM47@4000mah from xiaomi. I stripped it as far as possible and soldered the circuit board of a BL263 zuk z2 pro battery onto the BM47 and fitted it into my device. It works great and gives me the extra capacity I needed to get through the day without charging. 2018-08-16-11-54-07.jpg

Last edited:

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
I would not play with cellphone batteries....
I'm saying this because I have no knowledge of welding, but I do not want to risk having my face burned by an explosion EVEN if I know what im doing.

Nov 23, 2017
I don't recommend messing with your phones battery. I just report what I'm doing. BTW I'm not manipulating the battery itself, but just changing the circuit board, which are soldered to a + and - pole. No big deal actually. It's the same flashing a costum rom. Ask a regular user to flash another rom and you will learn that it's very dangerous. You will loose your warranty and irreparably hardbrick your device...

bigorbi

Mar 28, 2017
great work! actually i am planning to do a similar mod to my laptop , still searching a thin enough battery to fit into my laptop

Nov 23, 2017
I did it on tablets and i never had problems. It's a nice mod, do you have fotos?
just to the circuit board right? how about the size?
I just stripped the stickers off it. The battery itself is sealed in aluminum foil and should stay so. The bm47 is a little bit longer and like 1mm wider than the oem. It fits without grinding or bending but then there's no more room. I also tried a bm46 which is shorter, but wider and about 1.5mm thicker than oem. It does not fit. May be it would but you probably will have to grind off some of the frame. May be there is even a 4500mah battery that's just 1mm thicker than the bm47.
The real work here is finding a battery with the right dimensions.

bigorbi

Mar 28, 2017
It would be very cool if you could make a small video explaining how to do it exactly, I'm sure most people here would try this mod

Sent from my MI PAD 3 using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2017
It would be very cool if you could make a small video explaining how to do it exactly, I'm sure most people here would try this mod

Sent from my MI PAD 3 using Tapatalk
It's too late for the video as I already glued the backcover back on. But I just followed the following guides
https://forum.xda-developers.com/go...0mah-battery-mod-lg-g2-battery-t3651460/page1
When I am back home I'll see if there are some usable foto's I can upload and I will upload the dimensions of the space available inside the z2 pro and of the batteries I used.

Nov 23, 2017
Little update. Seems Quick charge does not work. A full charge from 10-100% took about 3 hours. But that is not necessarily a bad thing for me. Battery life is goed so far. Battery is still not calibrated. Will report back after a few more charges. Screenshot below is before 2nd charge. 1st charge was after battery installation with device switched off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Starchm

Sep 12, 2017
Hey!
After some usage what is your experience with that mod? I mean i saw qc isnt working but any other things? Maybe battery usage datas for old vs new?

Thanks for your answer!

Nov 23, 2017
Hey!
After some usage what is your experience with that mod? I mean i saw qc isnt working but any other things? Maybe battery usage datas for old vs new?

Thanks for your answer!
I'm still in the process of evaluating. Battery life seems to be OK for one day. But the phone has a hard time calibrating the battery. In recovery there is no problem but on a certain percentage the phone thinks that the battery is empty and keeps rebooting, that's between 20 and 25%. Until then I had like 18 hours of usage with 4+hour sot. Annoying but overall not a big deal if you start charging soon enough. Qc seem only to work in recovery mode or switched off. Charging from near 0% to 100% take like 1 hour when switched off. I think there have to be made some changes on the software side/kernel... I don't know where. In recovery mode there's no problem with rebooting till I reach like 1 or 2%. There's also no problem with heating or other issues one could expect after this sort of modification. May be it's worth a shot to not change the circuit board but only the connector. I will research this next in the nexus 5 mods.

Starchm

Sep 12, 2017
I'm still in the process of evaluating. Battery life seems to be OK for one day. But the phone has a hard time calibrating the battery. In recovery there is no problem but on a certain percentage the phone thinks that the battery is empty and keeps rebooting, that's between 20 and 25%. Until then I had like 18 hours of usage with 4+hour sot. Annoying but overall not a big deal if you start charging soon enough. Qc seem only to work in recovery mode or switched off. Charging from near 0% to 100% take like 1 hour when switched off. I think there have to be made some changes on the software side/kernel... I don't know where. In recovery mode there's no problem with rebooting till I reach like 1 or 2%. There's also no problem with heating or other issues one could expect after this sort of modification. May be it's worth a shot to not change the circuit board but only the connector. I will research this next in the nexus 5 mods.
So its just randomly stop at 20-25% ? :D but can u restart it after and use more?

Nov 23, 2017
So its just randomly stop at 20-25% ? :D but can u restart it after and use more?
No you have to charge. Otherwise it keeps rebooting. But you can go into recovery and there's no issue. So it's software related. We have to change the capacity in order to use the battery properly. But I don't know how.