1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building/compiling/'cooking' a rom

Discussion in 'ZUK Z2' started by SingleCore, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:20 AM.

1. SingleCore

SingleCore New Member

Hello everyone, I'd like to ask the following question(s).
    Background: I've got experience in programming Java, C#, Python and I've messed around other programming languages before.

I'd like to get into the entire ROM building / compiling / 'cooking' scene but I am clueless as where I could start. I've a Zuk Z2(plus) with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP 3.1.0-3 installed.

Rom: AOSPExtended V4.4
    Kernel: DarkMoon Experimental 178
    Mod(s): shox_Audio_Mod V1.4
    Gapps: Opengapps micro
    Root: Magisk V13.2

I've been testing lots of roms recently, and now I am getting interested in (as mentioned above) compiling my own roms and maybe even port a rom myself? I'd start out with testing on my Zuk Z2(plus) since I can recover this device from any kind of software-brick. The main reason I'd like to mess around in this scene is because I've got an older tablet laying around with a MTK SOC, but with android 4.4.4 and I'd like to be able to update this :)

Any idea's tips or places where I could start best? I am open to all suggestions so please comment below ;)

2. SingleCore

SingleCore New Member

Tablet I'd like to upgrade (eventually): Cube T9 (currently only supports android 4.4.4)

I'd like to create a ROM based on one of these tablets: BOBARRY-10-inch-screen-for-T109-only-a-screen (look it up on aliexpress)
    It might be completely fake hardware specs, I only hope that the SOC and the android version are correct (Maybe someone can confirm this for me)?
    It's the only other tablet I've found running the MT8752 SOC and an android version higher then 4.x.x.

Any idea's tips or places where I could start best? I am open to all suggestions so please comment below ;)

3. DarkWinterCloud

DarkWinterCloud Active Member

It´s hard to explain where to begin with, I was trying to enter this custom rom "world" a long time ago, even having knowledge on android programing, kernels, java, C++, etc, I was stoped by the pletora of options out there that should have a better quality in comparison with any Rom I would try to build... But there's plenty guides out there that shows where to start at least, porting a rom from a device to another is very easy (lineage OS at least). The problems starts when you think in correcting a bug and to add new functions to It.

Some good guides I saw back that time were:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223690

http://www.androidauthority.com/build-custom-android-rom-720453/

They are a little old but you will know how to start at least...
    The more "advanced" things I think that theres no good guide out there, since everything is pretty "try and correct"...