[FIX] E2001: Failed to Update Vendor Image ERROR 7 - Installing a Custom rom

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
You want to try a new custom rom but every time you try to isntall it you get error E2001: Failed to Update Vendor Image.....ERROR 7

well, the fix is simple:

1 - flash TWRP Red Wolf

2- flash factory2vendor file

3- reboot to recovery

4- full wipe (dont wipe data and internal storage)

5- add system and vendor to mount option

6- flash the custom rom zip

7- flash gapps

you can flash magisk to root your device if you want.

8- reboot to system

you may see a red error about vendor but thats normal

Here is a video tutorial

To revert back to stock, open TWRP do a full wipe and flash this file
or just flash zui with QFIL (recommended)

Jun 24, 2017
Finally i decided to change my zui to RR.I had a problem (failed to mount vendor),i could't neither mount it in mount section...Anyway the factory2vendor script was working, and the vendor location was updated.Now i m waiting it boot up,hoping i won't get stucked to boot.If so i will flash with qfil,i prevently have all the file ready

Jun 24, 2017
What do you mean? Now i solved, i m back to zui 3.1,but was impossible to mount the vendor.I think it's a rare problem so not so many else will have the same problem.I hope ;)

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
t.me
What do you mean? Now i solved, i m back to zui 3.1,but was impossible to mount the vendor.I think it's a rare problem so not so many else will have the same problem.I hope ;)
flash factory2vendor
flash latest red wolf twrp
reboot to twrp.
flash latest RR.
Should work

miczell

Jul 21, 2018
Guys, I have some problems with installing redwolf. Here's my journey. Please tell me what I do wrong:
  1. unlock bootloader - DONE!
  2. install root (flash superSU) - DONE!
  3. flash TWRP 3.2.2-0 via fastboot - DONE!
  4. reboot into recovery mode - DONE!
  5. copy the redwolf.img * file from Windows to the ZUK's internal storage via USB cable - DONE!
    (* - originally it was RedWolf-z2_row-TREBLE.img - I have changed the name of the file, hoping that it's not relevant)
  6. in TWRP hit Install and Install Image, and navigate to the redwolf.img location (/sdcard/TWRP/)
  7. In the next screen in the section Select Partition to Flash Image: choose Recovery - DONE!
    • I get this info:
      • Updating partition details...
        ...done
        Full SELinux support is present.
        MTP Enabled
        [IMAGE FLASH STARTED]
        Image to flash: '/sdcard/TWRP/redwolf.img'
        Calculating restore details...
        [IMAGE FLASH COMPLETED]
  8. Don't reboot, and go back again to Install, hit Install Zip, and navigate to factory2vendor.zip file and select it. - DONE!
  9. Swipe to confirm Flash - DONE!
    • I get this info:
      • Installing zip file '/sdcard/TWRP/vendor.zip'
        Checking for Digest file...
        Skipping Digest check: no Digest file found
        Rename factory to vendor
        script succeeded: result was [1.000000]
        Updating partition details...
        ...done
  10. Reboot to recovery - here I get stuck:
    • I see ZUK logo for one second or so
    • then for a split of second I see some blue stripe visable on the upper border of the screen (it looks like an error, or interupted process - it just "blinks" in the upper border of the screen for a milisecond)
    • then the screen goes blank (it does NOT go off, it is still lit, but there is nothing displayed on it besides the black color)
    • the phone stays like that for eternity and only rebooting into fastboot (by holding the on/off button for few long seconds), and flashing original TWRP helps to regain some functionality of the recovery
So please tell me - what I do wrong?

BTW: I'm on ZUK Z2 = ZUK Z2 PLUS = ZUK Z2131. Not on Z2 Pro. I don't know if it's relevant, but better to mention it, I suppose.

Last edited:

miczell

Jul 21, 2018
shit, so z2plus is NOT z2pro??? I'm so confused with this naming. Can anybody tell me WHERE to find the distinctive technical data about those phones and be acustomed with the proper naming ONCE AND FOR ALL? :)

Does ZUK deliver three models, or two? Mine model is shown in About Phone section, where it stands plainly Z2131. So what are other names for Z2131?

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
shit, so z2plus is NOT z2pro??? I'm so confused with this naming. Can anybody tell me WHERE to find the distinctive technical data about those phones and be acustomed with the proper naming ONCE AND FOR ALL? :)

Does ZUK deliver three models, or two? Mine model is shown in About Phone section, where it stands plainly Z2131. So what are other names for Z2131?

Zuk z2 and zuk z2 plus is the same phone.
It is Z2131

Zuk Z2 pro is Z2121

https://zukfans.eu/community/forums/zuk-z2.5/

buban76

Nov 11, 2016
My zuk z2 pro is about one year only secondary phone, so I didn't search for news and zuk stays on mokee 7.1.2. If I tried upgrade to 8.1.0 it always ends with error 7. Yesterday I found this topic and it's great solution, it works and now I have my old zuk with new mokee 9.0.0 . Awesome job, thank you

Odesláno z mého SM-G955F pomocí Tapatalk