How I updated to the new ZUI 3.1.194 (Oreo) via VPN OTA

KookyBone

Jul 11, 2017
Edit: "Sorry, I just realized that zui 3.1.194 is not Oreo. But since the zui 3.5 (Oreo) is rolling out in China, I hope it will work with this method,too."

In China zuk updated the ZUI already to Oreo via OTA. Because most VPN didn't work I decided to research how to get it done. So I installed "ovpnSpider" from the Google Playstore. When opening the app it needs openVPN to be installed. So did this. Than you can click on the "cn"-tab on the top and choose a Chinese server. Sometimes the app plays an advert, but can't connect to a server. So I tried many times on different servers and one time it connected. Android asks in between if you want to allow VPN, which you have to do. Once connected, I first stopped and cleared the data of the system update (settings>advancedSettings>applications>system update). First stopped it and than pressed clear data. With still connected via VPN I started the system update. It found it and than started the download. But the progress bar wasn't filling up. So switched back to the "ovpnSpider" and disconnected the VPN while the update was still downloading > the system update continued and downloaded with full speed. It just finished now and I am going to install it after this post, so I if you interested I can tell if everything works fine. Hope this could help some of you.

Last edited:

KookyBone

Jul 11, 2017
Great news but 3.1 isn't oreo. Oreo is 3.5
Of course you are right ;) will edit the above post. Just realized it after the update. Thought it will be Oreo because I just read that Zuk has released the Oreo update in China (zui 3.5). I tried to get this one, too. But not working right now. Will try it later again.

Satiryco

Sep 22, 2017
OK don't worry. You can use transocks too. From play store then open app. It's a chinese app but you must push green botton only to start VPN.

theface

Apr 27, 2017
Just one problem: It isn´t out yet! Just a new dev beta version today, 3.5.243 and it´s a closed beta, so we still have to wait

KookyBone

Jul 11, 2017
Just one problem: It isn´t out yet! Just a new dev beta version today, 3.5.243 and it´s a closed beta, so we still have to wait
This explains why I can't find it. Just read some articles that read like the update is already out in the stable version.
This:
androidhits.com/lenovo-zuk-z2-pro-receives-android-8-0-oreo-zui-3-5/

Edit: read the article again and researched a bit more... Most articles say the stable version is already rolling out on some parts of China.

Last edited:

theface

Apr 27, 2017
It will be out soon, at least regarding to the chinese Lenovo forums. There is no official release date, the beta testers just say it´s going to be released before the 16th of Feb., the Chinese New Year. We´ll see ;)