[HOW TO] Update OTA on STOCK with unlocked bootloader

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
Do it only on STOCK ROM!!!
Dont do it with custom rom (MULTILANGUAGE ROM ISNT STOCK) or you WILL BRICK!!!

***Above zui 3.5 this method will only work with a full OTA file***

How to do it:

copy a stock recovery.img into your adb/fastboot folder

put the OTA update.zip in phone root

boot to fastboot mode (adb reboot bootloader)

then type in adb:

fastboot boot recovery.img

choose your language and update.

IF YOU DONT KNOW IF YOU ARE ON A STOCK ROM, DONT DO IT! ASK FIRST.

Newbie FAQ for Z2 plus users
Newbie FAQ for Z2 pro users

Last edited:

Frozone

Sep 6, 2017
I tried this method to update, but now my wifi is not working, wlan icon keep blinking and in settings is off and cant turn it on :-(

Tried reboot, download rom from different source and update again, download and install only baseband and still nothing :-/

Frozone

Sep 6, 2017
Thx for help, forget to mention it, but i already tried... Looks like my last chance is delete /data/misc/wifi/wpasu... I was thinking there is a better way.... Anyway deleting that file helped

Apr 6, 2017
Please consider, in theory it also works for a Zuk Z2 / Z2 Plus,

BUT :

The stock recovery image provided in this thread is for the Z2 Pro only, it will not work with a Z2.
If anyone has a working stock recovery.img for the Zuk Z2, please be so kind to share it here.
In addition, the fastboot commands for a Zuk Z2 / Z2 Plus are

fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot recovery.img

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
Please consider, in theory it also works for a Zuk Z2 / Z2 Plus,

BUT :

The stock recovery image provided in this thread is for the Z2 Pro only, it will not work with a Z2.
If anyone has a working stock recovery.img for the Zuk Z2, please be so kind to share it here.
In addition, the fastboot commands for a Zuk Z2 / Z2 Plus are

fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot recovery.img
this is a Z2 Pro thread, so... thats why I udpate the recovery file.

Just extract it from a OTA zip, or QFIL folder rom.

Last edited:

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
Can you elaborate on that. I can't find recovery.img file in the OTA file. Does it have a different name ?
I got mine on any QFIL rom. Just extract the zip, open the folder and search recovery.img

But, if you are a z2 pro user, I have uploaded the file on the first post

frog

Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for this.
Just a question:
When you say it must be flashed on a stock ROM, does that mean a stock ROM without any modifications to the /system partition? (I have added and removed apps from /system/priv-app)

frog

Mar 2, 2017
And re my question above, if you do need unmodified /system partition, can I just use fastboot to restore the system partition to the stock using the system.img file/s from the stock QFIL file? Or would I need to freshly flash the stock ROM using QFIL?

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks for this.
(I have added and removed apps from /system/priv-app)
I dont see any problem doing this.
If you flashed a stock rom its ok, it wont work unless if you install any custom rom or stock based rom.
But if you have TWRP, then do a backup first...

frog

Mar 2, 2017
Thanks. I can't report whether it works with modified /system as I have had to reflash anyway.
Also, I should clarify for anyone else wondering where to put the update.zip, it goes into /sdcard/ directory not "/" directory. Reading "root", I put the zip into "/" and it didn't work.

Alex74

May 23, 2017
  1. Hello Guys, is possible make this upgrade with bootloader unlock and supersu root?
  2. I forgot to tell also that I have a ROM stock zui 2.5.335 with TWRP 3.1.0
  3. Thanks

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
  1. Hello Guys, is possible make this upgrade with bootloader unlock and supersu root?
  2. I forgot to tell also that I have a ROM stock zui 2.5.335 with TWRP 3.1.0
  3. Thanks
If you are on a stock rom, then yes. I updated mine using this tutorial with bl unlocked and magisk root

kilkus

Sep 10, 2016
Hi,
Thanks for this method. I tried to use, until boot to fastboot mode all it's ok but when I write "fastboot boot recovery.img" I have this message "waiting for device".
Can you help me to resolve this problem?
Thanks

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,
Thanks for this method. I tried to use, until boot to fastboot mode all it's ok but when I write "fastboot boot recovery.img" I have this message "waiting for device".
Can you help me to resolve this problem?
Thanks
First enable usb debugging, give phone permission then do the tutorial steps.

After enabling usb debugging it still doesnt appear anything on phone screen after plugin the usb cable, just type in adb "adb devices" and press enter.

kilkus

Sep 10, 2016
First enable usb debugging, give phone permission then do the tutorial steps.

After enabling usb debugging it still doesnt appear anything on phone screen after plugin the usb cable, just type in adb "adb devices" and press enter.
Thank for your answer. Yes I gave the usb debugging permission. When I type adb devices, nothing appear. I was looking if it's the driver of adb in my windows 10 or to start windows in debug mode but nothing change.