[HOWTO] Flash a Stock ZUI ROM (ZUK Z2 Pro Z2121 only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2016
Thx. It is all clear. The only question is: after I flash TWRP into recovery partytion, is there any way to flash stock recovery again? Are the stock recoveries to be found somewhere. I know that flashing OTA via sdfuse will replace TWRP with stock again and delete also root rights but I am still curious. My basic idea is to keep stock recovery to be able to update via OTA (using vpn)
I have never heard of a stock recovery image to flash.. And I didn't know that flashing ROM or OTA would reset the recovery partition ^^
Sorry I can't help you this time :-/

Sep 20, 2016
One more question: If I flash latest qfil stock rom 2.0.057 - if I am right - after that I can flash directly latest sdfuse rom - 2.1.140, or should I flash step-by-step firstly 2.1.120 and only after the latest one?

Aug 26, 2016
Erding, Germany
One more question: If I flash latest qfil stock rom 2.0.057 - if I am right - after that I can flash directly latest sdfuse rom - 2.1.140, or should I flash step-by-step firstly 2.1.120 and only after the latest one?
I first made the mistake to flash the 140 over the 057. Some apps didn't work after that and all data was lost.

So I wiped complete with the 057 again with QFIL and updated then with sdfuse 120 and then 140 without problems and without data loss.

Sep 20, 2016
I first made the mistake to flash the 140 over the 057. Some apps didn't work after that and all data was lost.

So I wiped complete with the 057 again with QFIL and updated then with sdfuse 120 and then 140 without problems and without data loss.
OK, thx for the information, will do the same then step-by-step

Sep 29, 2016
I'm trying to flash and after a lot of trial and error I was able to get the qualcomm port to show up in the tool. But now when I hit download content, I'm getting the below error. Please help

Oliberserk

Oct 1, 2016
*Solved*
For those of you using VirtualBox, USB support should be 2.0, not 3.0. Change that, and the device will show up in Windows immediately after a reboot of the guest OS.

Now you only have to navigate to the ADB and fastboot files you extracted and open a command prompt (press and hold "shift" rightclick - select "open command promt windows here")
Type into it: adb reboot edl

---If it fails, turn on "enable_usb_2.0" via Developer Options---
Hi! I got my Z2 Pro today and noticed that I have a custom ROM installed (with problems related to app overlay and similar). So I followed the guide for the QPST/QFIL method, but when I type adb reboot edl, I get prompted with the following message: error: no devices/emulators found. Before that error, I'm prompted that the deamon was startet on port 5087, but then comes the error and QFIL doesn't recognize the port. I tried enabling usb 2.0, no change.

I have to admit that I'm using Linux and that Windows (7 x64) runs in VirtualBox, but that never caused problems with flashing other Android devices (Sony, Ulefone...).
Any idea what it could be or what I could do?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2016
Hi guys, do you have a recommended gapps package (pico or nano) for flashing from twrp, which is working too? Or should I just search the necessary apk-s separately and install them one by one?

tapatalked from a Honor 7

Sep 29, 2016
Have you tried this?
http://zukfans.eu/community/index.php?posts/2247

> reboot
> shorten path and filename

I had already tried that.

Finally here is what I had to do to get it to work. Hope it helps someone else trying to use this method.

The QFIL zip contained the ROM twice. so you can load the contents.xml from the parent folder or the other folder within the zip too.

Make sure you extract the ROM in a short part i.e. "C:\Z2Pro\

1) Firstly, the tricky part having the tool recognize the qualcomm port.
Solution: Uninstall the tool, USB drivers (i.e. Zuk drivers), any existing qualcomm drivers.

Reboot.

Install Zuk drivers.
Install the tool. (According to the guide, the tool will also install the drivers for qualcomm, but for some reason it did not)
Install the qualcomm drivers.

2) Fortunately, my phone was not bricked. So I could easily get into edl mode using "adb reboot edl"

3) While trying to get this to work, some RELINK driver was installed instead of qualcomm. Uninstall that if you see that.

4) Anyway, back to our troubleshooting. So you would think that you are all set and your qualcomm port should be recognized, but no. It failed to recognize. So try this:

Reboot PC.
Reboot Phone.

5) Now Proceed. Hopefully by now you have see your qualcomm port. Great.

6) This is the trickiest part. You need to click on the "Download Content" "IMMEDIATELY" "AS SOON AS" you hit enter on "adb reboot edl".

upload_2016-10-3_20-25-28.png

7) Yay. You see very nice progress in the little progress section on QFIL. You think you'ved nailed it.. But no, you could again end up getting another error. (Unfortunately I forgot to get a screenshot). Anyway, you would see this multiple times, that the "File access is very slow"; I'm not sure if only I received that error or if it is generic.

8) When you get an error at this point. Try a different port. Luckily, I got it to work on my second attempt on another attempt.

My review on the stock ROM:
Honestly, the custom ROM installed by the seller worked way better for me. This stock ROM had a lot of chinese apps (which of course I can uninstall). But somehow, the custom ROM from the seller felt better. Luckily I had a nandroid backup and I went back to it. The only drawback apart from OTA, being on the latest etc etc is that I cannot use the heartrate sensor (which is no big deal for me).

I guess I'll wait for another AOSP or another custom ROM or probably something with Android N before I upgrade again.

Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2016
I'm on 2.1.140 now stock + rooted. It works fine, but does xposed and viper audio work with the stock ROM? Any specific version that is currently working on this ROM. I did try xposed arm64 v86 sdk23 but it failed. The apk was installed but the installation said, that the arm64 architecture was not supported.

Tried installing Viper, but it has no effect.

Sep 29, 2016
Woah. Finally got xposed working.

Did a clean ROM install.

QFIL to 057 ST
then sdfuse to 140 ST

flash the CN-EN twrp

Gapps
Root [UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.76-20160705-Modified_by_Kaneforzukz2pro.zip]

Install "xposed-v86-sdk23-arm64.zip" using twrp
Installed apk "XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk"

And its working great now. I can even download the mods directly unlike what was reported earlier that we have to download the apk of the modules from the browser and then install it. (y)

Ahykho

Sep 9, 2016
Flash guide ZUK Z2 Pro - (Z2121)(QPST/QFIL):

-------------
Preamble:

This upgrade your Phone to Z2 Pro_CN_OPEN_USER_Q01002.1_M_ZUI_1.9.038_ST_160503 version, for example. Use the latest version of the software or the version for the actual operation.

Backup your data before processing the flash, in order to avoid loss of data!
-------------

###################

This tutorial is for all editions of ZUK Z2 Pro (Z2121).
USB flashing will wipe your internal phone storage!
Flash at your own risk, and alway follow the flashing turtorial.

Please note this tutorial is different than ZUK Z2 (non Pro) flashing tutorial!

###################

--You'll need a USB-C data-cable to proceed--

###################
Theoretical it is possible to recover a bricked Qualcomm Phone, just like ZUK Z2 Pro via this method. If you do this for the first time you'll need to download some tools.

With downloading and installing the tools this procedure will take about 10-30 minutes (differs depending on how powerful your computer is)

Without downloading and installing the tools this procedure will take about 5 minutes.

###################

Let's get startet!

1.0 Download flashtool and ZUK USB driver

Code:
Download Flashtool
###REQUIRED### (QPST 2.7.434)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591000424948456

Download USB Drivers
###REQUIRED### (ZUK)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24659325368664618

optional (Qualcomm normally installed by QPST flashtool setup)
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591020540824824
Download and extract ADB and fastboot
Code:
###REQUIRED###
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24671318762848778

Download Stock ROM (Please latest!)
Code:
###REQUIRED###
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=94059

1.0.1 Unzip the downloaded package

1.0.2 Install QPST.2.7.434.msi

Note: If this screen appears when you double-click on the upgrade tool, you need to download and install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4, you can directly search for and download dotNetFx40_Full_x86.rar

###################

To prevent any further trouble, please reboot your computer now!

###################

1.1.1 Click "QFIL" open the upgrade tool; (path: Start Menu - All Programs - QPST - QFIL)

1.1.2 If you opend QFIL swich to the FireHoseConfiguration and enter the following settings:

After saving the settings, restart QFIL.

1.1.3 Click "Load Content" button, and navigate to the folder you extracted the ROM you downloaded and navigate to the folder with the contents.xml located in, select the contents.xml and click open. This should be looking like this:

The QFIL tool will automaticly load all needed files.

1.1.4 If your phone isn't bricked(Method 1):
Plug in your phone via USB-C cable to your Computer. After this you need to enable developer options. Navigate to Settings - About - ZUI Version and touch it 7 times to enable developer options. After this was successfully navigate to Settings - Advanved Settings - Developer Options - USB debugging and turn it on. Confirm dialog with OK.
Now you only have to navigate to the ADB and fastboot files you extracted and open a command prompt (press and hold "shift" rightclick - select "open command promt windows here")
Type into it: adb reboot edl

---If it fails, turn on "enable_usb_2.0" via Developer Options---

If your phone is bricked (Method 2):
(Turn off your phone.) After it's fully shutdown, press and hold the volume down button and connect your phone to your PC.

Now the QFIL tool should react with the following:

1.1.5 Press the Download Content button to proceed the flashing.

1.1.6 If the flashing procedure was successful, this will be promped

THAT'S IT

1.2.1 Flash finished boot test
After the software upgrade is complete, you should do some test, to confirm whether the software download was successful. Test steps are as follows:

1.2.2. start testing:
After the upgrade the phone should be able to boot.

1.2.3 query software version:
Enter * # * # 5993 # * # * to view the phone software version, phone software version for the software version of the new download.

1.2.4 query the phone number and the IMEI number:
Enter * # * # 2222 # * # * # * 06 # and check the serial number and IMEI number, and backing this time should be consistent.​

Last, but not least do OTA updates if available.

###################
Explanation ROM version ST - DEV:

ZUI from version 1.5, the version will be divided into stable version (ST) and early adopters Edition (DEV), respectively, for different types of users.

ST (stable version):
Update longer period (two weeks prior to a half months), a slight adjustment depending on the software test case, the high stability of the system, the user is more suitable for the pursuit of stability of the system.

DEV (developer edition):
Faster version of the update frequency (Developer Edition in the past month have weekly updates, follow-up will make adjustments according to the situation, but because of differences in quality and version control push range). Developer Edition can experience the latest features, optimize and repair, will also have some problems large and small. Brush with some more suitable capacity, and early adopters like playing machine users.

Stable version and the development version will use a separate upgrade strategy, you can switch to each other through the brush method.

###################

Sources:
Original Thread and source: http://club.lenovo.com.cn/thread-1811698-1-1.html

ROM Source: http://club.lenovo.com.cn/thread-1812430-1-1.html

###################
OH BOY... you really should mention that we all really need to check if we have an other Original Firmware, the one which has actually more languages than english & chinese. Cause i thought im on OFW and did an sdfuse update and fucked my phone aka briked it. since im working hard and all the pcs at work are mostly non-administrative, inet connection @home is beeing swiched from o2 to m-net, i was really really REALLY pissed that you didnt mentioned that clearly enough. Now everything fine since am flashoholik, but realy, and PLEASE, take a BIG FAT note on your TUT that we HAVE TO check if its a OFW or a manipulated OFW_MULTILANGUAGE rom or not. i thought im safe with sdupdate well yeah, but thanks for the tut anyway

Sep 29, 2016
OH BOY... you really should mention that we all really need to check if we have an other Original Firmware, the one which has actually more languages than english & chinese. Cause i thought im on OFW and did an sdfuse update and fucked my phone aka briked it. since im working hard and all the pcs at work are mostly non-administrative, inet connection @home is beeing swiched from o2 to m-net, i was really really REALLY pissed that you didnt mentioned that clearly enough. Now everything fine since am flashoholik, but realy, and PLEASE, take a BIG FAT note on your TUT that we HAVE TO check if its a OFW or a manipulated OFW_MULTILANGUAGE rom or not. i thought im safe with sdupdate well yeah, but thanks for the tut anyway

Looks like you missed the big fat note on sdfuse method tutorial:

upload_2016-10-7_15-37-53.png
upload_2016-10-7_15-38-35.png

Pelletspelle

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 3, 2016
Looks like you missed the big fat note on sdfuse method tutorial:

View attachment 480
View attachment 481
That line doesnt say anything about you having a custom stock rom, if you buy a phone, its not obvious it has a custom rom out of the box. Many phone have multilangual stock firmware. Its a notice about it, but its further down after every step in guide already done, its easy to miss if you not read it carefully. Think many bricked their phones reading this guide.

Sep 7, 2016
Hey all,
I had a custom ROM installed and tried to flash Stock ROM ZUI 2.0 via TWRP. Result: my phone was bricked. It only starts and shows zuk logo and then black screen and blue notification led light. If I hold power button it only How can I unbrick it? QFIL is showing the message: "FDownload fail Switch to edl Fail Failed to swith to emergency download mode". What can I do?

Sep 7, 2016
I did everything EXACTLY as you wrote, but I receive a message "Download Fail Switch to EDL Failed to switch to emergency download mode". What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.