[HOWTO] Flash a Stock ZUI ROM (ZUK Z2 Z2131 only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Flash guide ZUK Z2 (Z2131) (QPST/QFIL):

-------------
Preamble:

###################

This tutorial is for all editions of ZUK Z2 Z2131 (non Pro).
USB flashing will wipe your internal phone storage!
Flash at your own risk, and alway follow the flashing turtorial.

Please note this tutorial is different than ZUK Z2 Pro flashing tutorial!

###################

Backup your data before processing the flash, in order to avoid loss of data!
-------------

--You'll need a USB-C data cable to proceed--

Download QPST (Firmware flashing tool)
Code:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591020540824930
Download ADB and Fastboot
Code:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591020540824933
Download USB driver
Code:
Qualcomm driver: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591020540824931

ZUK driver:  https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591020540824932

**Attention**
If you have Windows 8, 8.1, 10 installed, you have to disable driver verification.

Download ROM (Firmware) - (Download latest!)
Code:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=82053

**Important**
Do you flash your ZUK Z2 for the first time? You are a layman? This is very important for you!

For Qualcomms' QPST USB flashing tool it is very important that port 9008 is reachable on your phone to access all partitions located on your phone storage.

If you will flash your ROM/Firmware via Fastboot it will be not that effective, because you will not reach the deeper partitions. In other words the fastboot method is only for advanced users.

With QPST you are able to flash all partitions including bootloader.

If it is not possible to boot your phone, e.g. your phone is bricked, but the port 9008 is accessible by QPST you are able to unbrick.

But as alway pay attention and follow the tutorial!

QPST Firmware flashing via USB:

First of all, install ZUK USB driver. Just download and extract ZUK_UsbDriver_1.0.5.zip than follow the setup menue and pay attention if you use Windows 8, 8.1 or 10! (keyword: driver signature disabling)

1.2 Download and install QPST-2.7.437.7z. If you follow the instructions it is not necessary to install the Qualcomm dirvers seperatly. They will be installed via QPST setup.
Click setup.exe

1.3 Maybe you will be promted to install .net framework and Visual C++ 2010 Runtimes Libary. Yust follow the instuctions.

1.4 Now it should appear the actual QPST setup. If you have previously installed QPST you maybe asked to repair or uninstall. In this case press repair.

Installing of QPST finished!

2.1 Download USB flashable ROM/Firmware see above. (
Z2131_CN_OPEN_USER_Q01002.1_M_ZUI_1.9.063_ST_160604_qpst.7z) and extract the file to your harddrive.​

2.2 Open the Start menu, All Programs, "" QPST directory "" QFIL. The initial interface as follows:

2.3 Click "Flat Build" and "Browse". Now navigate to the extracted ROM/Firmware, see 2.1 and select prog_emmc_firehose_8996_ddr.elf

Now click the "load xml" button. This will appear a new explorer. One of them will be needed to navigate to the file rawprogram-flash0.xml the second one will ask for patch0.xml .

Because your phone is not connected yet the "Download" button will be grayed and cannot be clicked

2.5 To solve this you have to switch your phone into the flashing mode the QPST/QFIL is able to reach Port 9008. There are two methods to do this.

2.5.1 Method ONE: Unplug your USB cable. After that turn your phone off. Now press and hold the volume button, while pressing the power button for 0.5 seconds and plug in the USB cable in the same moment. (very tricky)
If it was succesfull your phone should appear at QPST/QFIL and you are able to press the download button.

2.5.2 Method TWO: Your phone has to be on and ready to use, as well as having develeoper mode activated. How to do this? (Yust go to settings-about and press about several times)
If enabled go to developer settings and enable USB-Debugging.
Now connect your USB cable to the phone.

For using this method you have to download and extract Fastboot/ADB, see above. Now open a CMD promt in the folder you extracted Fastboot/ADB files, by holding shift button on your keyboard while clicking right mouse at the same time.

Into this CMD type in: adb reboot edl

Maybe you need to confim adb access on your phone after that command!

This command will boot your phone automaticly into flashing mode.

If you have chosen one of this methods and used it successfully you will able to press the "Download" button.

Right after you pressed the "Download" button the flashing procedure will start immediately.

2.6 Wait until the Status box will display you "Download succeeded", "Finish Download"

In case of "Download Fail" navigate to the "Configuration" menue on top of the tool.
Change "Device Type" to eMMC
"Validation Mode" to 0-No validation
"Reset after Download" no needed to tick (optional)

If the procedure fails again...
... restart your PC
... restart your Phone
... run QFIL as Administrator
... change the USB port at your PC

Flashing was successful? Congrats! Well done!

###################
Explanation ROM version ST - DEV:

ZUI from version 1.5, the version will be divided into stable version (ST) and early adopters Edition (DEV), respectively, for different types of users.

ST (stable version):
Update longer period (two weeks prior to a half months), a slight adjustment depending on the software test case, the high stability of the system, the user is more suitable for the pursuit of stability of the system.

DEV (developer edition):
Faster version of the update frequency (Developer Edition in the past month have weekly updates, follow-up will make adjustments according to the situation, but because of differences in quality and version control push range). Developer Edition can experience the latest features, optimize and repair, will also have some problems large and small. Brush with some more suitable capacity, and early adopters like playing machine users.

Stable version and the development version will use a separate upgrade strategy, you can switch to each other through the brush method.

###################

Sources:

http://bbs.zuk.cn/z2/t114579/

ROM source: http://club.lenovo.com.cn/thread-1812430-1-1.html

###################

Last edited:

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
###################

FAQ:

Q: Is it possible to install via SD-Card update even if my bootloader is unlocked and my phone is rooted?
A: Yes, see video to convince yourself:

Q: It is'nd possible to get OTA updates alway got promting "No internet connection" how to fix this?
A: If you 1st try to delete data and cache from "Sys Upd" and reboot your phone, try again. If this will not solve this problem try to connect via Chinese VPN-Server. Head over to this thread: http://zukfans.eu/community/threads/ota-update-solution-for-noobs-like-me.192/

Thank you Donát Szabó for your support!

Q: How to install Google Play Store?
A: Download and install the APKs in this package: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24671318762848780

Q: I'm having trouble to get Google Play Store working, Error: "Can't download app.. XYZ can't be downloaded. Try again, and if the proble continues, get help toubleshooting. (Error retrieving information from server. [DF-DLA-15])
A: 1st update Google Play Store via "apkmirror.com". If the problem still occurs:
1. delete your Google Account from your mobile phone(Sync Data first!)
2. delete data and cache from Google Play Services and Google Play store (APP)
3. reboot your phone
4. singn in to your Google Account and try again to intall APPs from Google Play Store APP.

Q: How to get Google Contacts sync woking?
A: Download and install the APKs in this package: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24671318762848780

Q: I got this message: "Fail to load contents.xml: Invaild Path for Meta Build CONTENT XML, ignored: C:\...\...\contents.xml" how do I fix this?
A: Maybe the folder names are to long (NTFS ~200 caracters), rename the folder with the contents.xml located in to "abc" for example.

Q: I need a password to extract the archive.
A: Try "club.lenovo.com.cn" without the potation marks.

Q: I can press the Download-Button ... but the download failed with error:
"Download Fail:Sahara Fail: QSahara Server Fail: The name of directory is invalid
Finish download"

A: Try to close and reopen QFIL again, also unplug and replug your phone.
Still not fixed? Reboot your PC, Phone.

Q: While flashing process I got error: "Download Fail: Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail: Process Fail". How to fix this?
A: You need to copy the ROM files into a short named folder and filename on the root of a harddrive.

Q: How to relock the bootloader, if I unlocked it?

A: You only need to open a command promt and fastboot.exe. Type "fastboot oem lock" into that command promt while the phone has to be in fastboot mode.

Q: Were to get into fastboot mode?
A: Open a command promt and type in "adb reboot-bootloader". In return your phone has to be connected via USB and "USB debugging" must be enabled.

Q: How do I change the language from Chines to English?

A: Click this video, this will show you how to:

###################

Last edited:

Bert

Jul 21, 2016
Hello,
I just recieved my new zuk z2 (non pro), and the "update system" is showing an update to 2.0.069 ST. Currently, the phone has "international ROM 1.9.136 ST" from factory and I wonder if version 2.0.069 is "International Rom" as well.

Could I have some problems with language settings? and.. the most important thing.. how is the update procedure? I will need to do some special things?

Thanks in advance

Tek

Jun 23, 2016
@Bert
Hello and welcome!

It seems that some devices bricked after updating with the System Updater. The reason was that they had a modified firmware installed (e.g. oppomart sells those phones).
The question is, were did you buy it and what do you mean by "International Rom" (which languages are available, was Google Play Store preinstalled, etc.)?

Best regards

Bert

Jul 21, 2016
Hello @Tek.

it has got pre-installed Google Play, and spanish language (also it is available other languages). I bought it on zimexport. So, how can I know if I have a "modified" firmware like oppomart?

My ZUY version is 1.9.136 ST.

Tek

Jun 23, 2016
This seems to be a modified version, which means that it is likely that you brick your phone by using the official updater.
As far as I know the only thing you can do to get the newest version is to flash it manually.

rolex0815

Jul 18, 2016
To determine root is easy:

- install app "Terminal Emulator".
- type 'su' and see what happens. If the command works, you have root.

Aapke

Jul 30, 2016
So if i have the oppomart one i can "safely flash" the official ione over here??
EDIT: did it and works flawless, but can i "safely" update to zui2.0.069??

Last edited:

kishan

Aug 3, 2016
OK so i have a Z2 non pro which has international custom rom which the seller put on with no way to update. the version is zui 1.9.044st.
Can ANYONE help me to backup my phone (not apps) and then i could use the above method to flash. Thanks in Advance (No idea how to backup)

Erik

Aug 11, 2016
Ok, here's my story.

I got my ZUK z2 three days ago, it came with the 1.9.077 ST multi language rom, which suck! Since it has no option for updates I tried the SD update which bricked my phone, stuck in the ZUK blue logo.

I just tried the method described here and it worked (uuffff!) Now I have the phone on 2.0.069 ST. Have not tested anything yet, but at least it's working again. Thank you very much for your time and help!

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Ok, here's my story.

I got my ZUK z2 three days ago, it came with the 1.9.077 ST multi language rom, which suck! Since it has no option for updates I tried the SD update which bricked my phone, stuck in the ZUK blue logo.

I just tried the method described here and it worked (uuffff!) Now I have the phone on 2.0.069 ST. Have not tested anything yet, but at least it's working again. Thank you very much for your time and help!
Well done! Nice that we were able to help you. :)

Welcome to our cummunity!

Jul 26, 2016
Hello, Is it possible to flash full rom by that way if I have the bootloader unclocked,root, and Twrp installed to change from multilanguage rom to the original one?

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Hello, Is it possible to flash full rom by that way if I have the bootloader unclocked,root, and Twrp installed to change from multilanguage rom to the original one?
Just flash the latest stock ROM "2.0.069" as mentioned in my HOWTO.

And before you flash please lock your bootloader! After flashing you can unlock it again.

Do a flash with QPST/QFIL only! Otherwise you will brick your phone! (Because you currently have a CUSTOM Rom)

If you do that do a Backup with Titanium Backup for example.

After flashing ROOT will be lost and has to be redone. (Should be no problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.