[HOWTO] Flash a Stock ZUI ROM (ZUK Z2 Z2131 only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016
Just flash the latest stock ROM "2.0.069" as mentioned in my HOWTO.

And before you flash please lock your bootloader! After flashing you can unlock it again.

Do a flash with QPST/QFIL only! Otherwise you will brick your phone! (Because you currently have a CUSTOM Rom)

If you do that do a Backup with Titanium Backup for example.

After flashing ROOT will be lost and has to be redone. (Should be no problem)
Thank you for your respond. How I can lock my bootloader again?

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Thank you for your respond. How I can lock my bootloader again?
adb reboot-bootloader

then

fastboot oem lock (you have to change to fastboot mode via vol-)

**EDIT**

Before you relock the Bootloader try this with unlocked bootloader first!

A mass of community members told me, that their phone became bricked after they had relocked the bootloader.
Please remember this before processing!!!!

Last edited:

Taffi

Jul 29, 2016
Hey all!

Here is my story:
I got this phone and did the upgrade to ZUI 2.0, since then it's not booting anymore and stuck in the ZUK screen.
The ZUK support won't help me ... so i tried this method.

Sadly it's not working for me and i don't know why.
In QPST i used the first method to get a connection to my phone. Then it shows up the port "Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008(COM9).
I can press the Download-Button ... but the download failed with error:
"Download Fail:Sahara Fail: QSahara Server Fail: The name of directory is invalid
Finish download"

Can someone explain what I may had done wrong?

I really want to use that phone ...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Aug 11, 2016
Hey all!

Here is my story:
I got this phone and did the upgrade to ZUI 2.0, since then it's not booting anymore and stuck in the ZUK screen.
The ZUK support won't help me ... so i tried this method.

Sadly it's not working for me and i don't know why.
In QPST i used the first method to get a connection to my phone. Then it shows up the port "Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008(COM9).
I can press the Download-Button ... but the download failed with error:
"Download Fail:Sahara Fail: QSahara Server Fail: The name of directory is invalid
Finish download"

Can someone explain what I may had done wrong?

I really want to use that phone ...

Thanks in advance!
That also happened to me. If I remember correctly I closed and open again QFIL, unplugged/plugged the phone and after that the upgrade started with no problems.

Lippasti

Aug 17, 2016
Hello,
I ordered my ZUK Z2 from uuonlineshop and unfortunately recieved it with the international rum (multi language support and Google Play installed).

I have read the first sentence that "this tutorial is for all editions of ZUK Z2". But I would really like to avoid running into problems/bricking my phone.

Hence my questions:
1. Can I use this method to flash and if yes, is there anything I have to watch out for that is not included in this guide?
2. How can I check if my bootloaders is locked/unlocked? Since I don't seem to have the "regular" rom I want to make sure, that my bootloader is not unlocked
3. Will OTA updates work after flashing this rom?
4. Will I have access to the permissions manager after flashing this rom?

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Hello,
I ordered my ZUK Z2 from uuonlineshop and unfortunately recieved it with the international rum (multi language support and Google Play installed).

I have read the first sentence that "this tutorial is for all editions of ZUK Z2". But I would really like to avoid running into problems/bricking my phone.

Hence my questions:
1. Can I use this method to flash and if yes, is there anything I have to watch out for that is not included in this guide?
2. How can I check if my bootloaders is locked/unlocked? Since I don't seem to have the "regular" rom I want to make sure, that my bootloader is not unlocked
3. Will OTA updates work after flashing this rom?
4. Will I have access to the permissions manager after flashing this rom?

Thank you very much for your help!
If your bootloader is unlocked, you'll see a message for 5 second at boot.
I ordered my Z2 pro at Uuonlineshop as well, and received with multilanguage ROm.

My bootloader wasn't unlocked!

I just flashed the latest ROM via QPST/QFIL.

ATTENTION: z2 and z2 pro ROM and methods of flashing differences!

If you flash latest ROM you just need to follow the instructions. Nothing special to watch for.

Lippasti

Aug 17, 2016
If your bootloader is unlocked, you'll see a message for 5 second at boot.
I ordered my Z2 pro at Uuonlineshop as well, and received with multilanguage ROm.

My bootloader wasn't unlocked!

I just flashed the latest ROM via QPST/QFIL.

ATTENTION: z2 and z2 pro ROM and methods of flashing differences!

If you flash latest ROM you just need to follow the instructions. Nothing special to watch for.
Fantastic! Just the answer I was hoping for. Thank you so much!

Lippasti

Aug 17, 2016
Take a closer look into FAQ at the bottom of my post.

You have to rename your folders you extracted the ROM! In other words you have to shorten the folder names.
I must be blind but where can I find the FAQ? It says at the bottom of your post but there is nothing that would indicate a link or something similar to an FAQ section.

Thanks for your help.

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
I must be blind but where can I find the FAQ? It says at the bottom of your post but there is nothing that would indicate a link or something similar to an FAQ section.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry just edited, the FAQ is also at Z2 Pro Guide.

Unable to edit
upload_2016-8-17_18-37-58.png

Last edited:

nabal

Aug 17, 2016
Method ONE:

Unplug your USB cable. After that turn your phone off. Now press and hold the volume button, while pressing the power button for 0.5 seconds and plug in the USB cable in the same moment. (very tricky)
If it was succesfull your phone should appear at QPST/QFIL and you are able to press the download button.

Hello,

It seems the way to enter the flashing mode is easier than what is said (or maybe that's not the flash mode but another one ?) ;-) :

begin state: Phone turned off, usb cable unplugged, Qfil message "No Port Available"
step: while holding "volume down" button, just plug usb cable and... wait like 4-5 seconds holding the button.
end state: Phone in flash mode, usb cable plugged, Qfil message "ShenQi HS-USB Diagnostics (COM9)"​

No need to hurry, no stress, no developper mode activated too.

Is it the right flash mode ?
I don't see the same message like you from Qfil, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
(with that kind of message, you've already figured out that I'm a beginner ;-) )

Thanks

EDIT: this manipulation is not the good one, the volume down thing is for entering into another mode and that's not the good one. I'll post the good one when I'm sure it's the one I did to enter flashmode (blackscreen no text) as I really did a lot of different combo and when I succeeded, I was not sure which one I made :p

Last edited:

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
begin state: Phone turned off, usb cable unplugged, Qfil message "No Port Available"
step: while holding "volume down" button, just plug usb cable and... wait like 4-5 seconds holding the button.
end state: Phone in flash mode, usb cable plugged, Qfil message "ShenQi HS-USB Diagnostics (COM9)"​
Are you able to flash via QPST/QFIL?

Your phone has to be in that mode:
"Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008"

Try adb or volume buttons method. And don't do any experiments.

"ShenQi HS-USB Diagnostics (COM9"
I think this mode is for ZUK technicans only. Don't know what to use for, maybe the are able to read information if you rooted the phone or unlocked the bootloader recently and want repairs.

nabal

Aug 17, 2016
Are you able to flash via QPST/QFIL?

Your phone has to be in that mode:
"Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008"

Try adb or volume buttons method. And don't do any experiments.

"ShenQi HS-USB Diagnostics (COM9"
I think this mode is for ZUK technicans only. Don't know what to use for, maybe the are able to read information if you rooted the phone or unlocked the bootloader recently and want repairs.
Thanks for replying. :)

I didn't try to flash anything since i was not in the mentioned mode from this tutorial and the rom is not yet fully downloaded.
"adb reboot edl" outputs "error: device not found" when developper mode and usb debugging are on.

When you say to use "volume buttons method", should we hold the volume Up or volume Down one ? (or maybe the two of them).
I can get to two different menu:

One with a big title that loops between "Power Off", a green "Restart", a red "Recovery" and a red "Fastboot".
This screen prints informations like:

----------------------
Restart <-- this is the title that switch with volume keypressed
----------------------

Press volume key to select, and press power key to select

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT_NAME - MSM8996
VARIANT - MTP eMMC
BOOTLOADER VERSION -
BASEBAND VERSION -
SERIAL NUMBER - <hexa_code>
SECURE BOOT - enabled

DEVICE STATE - locked

The one obtained with only holding volume down button before plugging is more like:
0.SD Update
1. Restore QCN
2. Save Param
3. Reboot
4. Shutdown
5. GetInfo

If you can get a picture of what the phone should look like when in flashmode, it would be helpful to secure the fact that we've reached some step ;-) Thanks again for your help.

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
You're in fastboot mode.

If you are in QPST mode the screen is black.
Did you installed all drivers?

If you've problems with adb use google developer kit and go to rhe folder which contains the adb.exe.

Or try first, if your phone has a USB 2.0 mode at developer mode. Plug in your phone and type in a command prompt:
adb devices

nabal

Aug 17, 2016
You're in fastboot mode.

If you are in QPST mode the screen is black.
Did you installed all drivers?

If you've problems with adb use google developer kit and go to rhe folder which contains the adb.exe.

Or try first, if your phone has a USB 2.0 mode at developer mode. Plug in your phone and type in a command prompt:
adb devices
Okay, I have uninstalled every driver I had except Qualcomm and I succeded to boot the phone in the flashmode by using the tricky move (blackscreen and detection from QFil). Download was a success.
Now, i have to found where to set the language to English as I can't read yet Chinese ;-)

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, when I find a more precise move to enter this mode, I'll post it for sure.

Now I see that I don't have ZukUSBDrivers installed. The ShenQi word read by QFIL in my previous post appeared on this driver. So maybe it was those drivers that were used instead of Qualcomm one.

Well, it worked. I'll edit previous post to inform that the manipulation inside them is not the one to to.

Again, Thanks, you rock!

MikeS

Jul 8, 2016
Okay, I have uninstalled every driver I had except Qualcomm and I succeded to boot the phone in the flashmode by using the tricky move (blackscreen and detection from QFil). Download was a success.
Now, i have to found where to set the language to English as I can't read yet Chinese ;-)

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, when I find a more precise move to enter this mode, I'll post it for sure.

Now I see that I don't have ZukUSBDrivers installed. The ShenQi word read by QFIL in my previous post appeared on this driver. So maybe it was those drivers that were used instead of Qualcomm one.

Well, it worked. I'll edit previous post to inform that the manipulation inside them is not the one to to.

Again, Thanks, you rock!

There you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.