Howto unlock bootloader and get TWRP on ZUK Z2 Pro

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
OEM unlock seems to be prohibited on ZUI versions lower than 3.5. I tried the old method from 3.1.194, only to get a "oem unlock is not allowed" for my efforts. Had to install the OTA of 3.5.388 to get anywhere with that.

Also, add "Repeat developer options sequence and enable USB debugging and OEM unlock" to step 6.
oem unlock mode is only above 3.5 (oreo feature)
bellow that version only using the .img file

gp.triple

Sep 27, 2017
hi,
i have a problem, adb don't recognize my z2pro when it is fastboot mode, at the prompt stuck at >waiting for device>
any solution?

thanks

solved, i reinstalled the usb driver

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2016
Erding, Germany
Hi, I unlocked my Z2 Pro and wanted to install TWRP.

After adb flashing command I got an error code:

target reported max download size of 1610612736 bytes
sending 'recovery' (20252 KB)...
FAILED (data transfer failure (Too many links))
finished. total time: 0.026s

What can I do?

mar.ur

Nov 9, 2017
Hi, I unlocked my Z2 Pro and wanted to install TWRP.

After adb flashing command I got an error code:

finished. total time: 0.026s

What can I do?
What ADB command and where is twrp located ?

Aug 26, 2016
Erding, Germany
What ADB command and where is twrp located ?
I'm on 3.5.388 ST and Win 10 and installed the "Minimal ADB and Fastboot".

Wanted to flash TWRP 3.2.1.0 via latest "Tool all in one"... aborted:

Sending 'recovery' (20252 KB) FAILED (data write failure (Too many links))
Finished. Total time: 0.070s
< waiting for any device >
Downloading 'boot.img' FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
Finished. Total time: 0.100s

Don't know what's wrong. :-/

mar.ur

Nov 9, 2017
@Hellge77 I've never used any tools to unlock bootloader and flash twrp . Why don't you use old school to flash twrp . Go to ADB folder and open CMD . Put into this folder your twrp.img . Write : adb reboot bootloader , after that : fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery name_of_twrp.img . Then choose by volume button recovery and press power button . That's all .

Aug 26, 2016
Erding, Germany
@Hellge77 I've never used any tools to unlock bootloader and flash twrp . Why don't you use old school to flash twrp . Go to ADB folder and open CMD . Put into this folder your twrp.img . Write : adb reboot bootloader , after that : fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery name_of_twrp.img . Then choose by volume button recovery and press power button . That's all .
It always worked this way. Don't know what changed... even the "old" version by CMD doesn't work.

finished. total time: 0.062s

mar.ur

Nov 9, 2017
It always worked this way. Don't know what changed... even the "old" version by CMD doesn't work.

finished. total time: 0.062s
Try to change your twrp name to recovery . Then in fastboot mode use flash recovery recovery.img . If still failed change usb port , cable etc.

Aug 20, 2018
Hey, I've followed all the instructions and flashed Red Wolf, but using adb rebooth recovery seems to reboot me into a stock recovery. The only options it gives me is to reboot, install update package and poweroff.

Is there a different way I should reboot into Red Wolf?

Jan 30, 2017
Hi there,

I finally decided to go for it but I got stuck at the very beginning. Here's what I've done so far but can't go further:
1. Downloaded ADB and located it to C: drive (C:\adb)
2. activated OEM unlocking and USB debugging
3. connected the phone to PC
4. ran the command C:\adb>adb reboot bootloader
5. phone went to bootloader
6. ran the command C:\adb>fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock-go
7. nothing happened - it says < waiting for device > - so I just started the phone and everything is as usual

I've tried it several times but with the same result. Any advice?

mariozlp

Jul 29, 2016
On windows 10 u have to deactivate digital signature verification for drivers, so u can install the google drivers to boot in fastboot.

Last edited:

mariozlp

Jul 29, 2016
I disabled digital signature verification but nothing changes...adb still says <waiting for device> :(
I disabled digital signature verification but nothing changes...adb still says <waiting for device> :(
Did you reinstall the adb fastboot drivers?

Jan 30, 2017
I did but it's the same...I have a feeling that I need to wipe somehow the previous installation or something...maybe registers?
OK I followed this https://www.teamandroid.com/2012/07/30/how-to-set-up-adb-fastboot-with-android-sdk/3/ and it worked (device driver issue) but now I´m stacked again. I put the device to fastboot mode again like instruction says and then run the following: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (yes the file is there and it is named like this)
but it´s "waiting for device" again and nothing works. Currently I have bootloader unlocked and clean phone like after factory reset.

EDIT: chines ROM with no Google services :(
EDIT 2: it worked with fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery twrp.img command

Last edited:

ZUKler

Jun 22, 2018
Can someone help me please? I'm not able to flash twrp...

If I use commande: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img the result is: waiting for device
If I use commande: fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery twrp.img the result is: error: cannot load 'twrp.img'

I'm desperate...

Many thanks!