Low call volume

Romeo1

Nov 7, 2016
I ve tried the forum but couldnt find any solution.. Call volume is ridiculously low in my phone, i can barely hear the other person.. I ve tried several roms clean flashed and everything. Currently on aex 4.4. Any suggestions?

DarkWinterCloud

Jan 20, 2017
Brasil
www.profixstore.com.br
maybe the speaker grid on your phone is dirty?
There is some little holes on the top of the screen (if your phone is white, the speaker area is the black bar above the screen)
Try cleaning it using a little brush with a little (I mean really LITTLE) quantity of Isopropyl alcohol, brush the area with caution to not let a big quantity of alcohol to enter in the speaker hole to avoid damage...
Since the holes are small, they can easly get obstructed by dirt...

Romeo1

Nov 7, 2016
Thank you for your suggestion. I don't think this is the problem but will try anyway and report back

Jun 23, 2016
I have the same problem. Suddenly the volume has become low and disturbed... It is and hardware issue, that is impossible ti solve with change rom...

Inviato dal mio Z2 Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
I have the same problem too.

It has happened suddenly. One day it was completely normal and the next almost inaudible... I've checked for dirt and it's definitely not that.

It's almost as though the in call sound is coming from 'inside' the device rather than through the top speaker grill. It's hard to explain but the call volume is now slightly louder if I put the headphone jack / USB port to my ear than it is if I put the top speaker to my ear. However in both cases, it's still very low volume.

DarkWinterCloud

Jan 20, 2017
Brasil
www.profixstore.com.br
I have the same problem too.

It has happened suddenly. One day it was completely normal and the next almost inaudible... I've checked for dirt and it's definitely not that.

It's almost as though the in call sound is coming from 'inside' the device rather than through the top speaker grill. It's hard to explain but the call volume is now slightly louder if I put the headphone jack / USB port to my ear than it is if I put the top speaker to my ear. However in both cases, it's still very low volume.
Maybe the sound is coming from the loudspeaker now, but with a low volume, since you can hear it better if you put it next to your ear...

Some configuration may have gone wrong for some reason?
Can you hear anything if you put the call in the speakerphone?

Enviado de meu Z2 Plus usando Tapatalk

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
Thanks for replying.

The in call sound is definitely not coming from the bottom speaker, however it's ever so slightly louder at the bottom of the phone (where all the open ports are) rather than through the speaker grill up top.

It's as though the in call sound is quietly coming from the middle of the phone if that makes any sense... It's difficult to explain.

If I place a call on loudspeaker, that works absolutely fine and the sound comes out of the bottom speaker.

It's just the regular in call sound that's no longer coming out of the top speaker..

I've fully reflashed Indian rom with qfil but I still have this problem leading me to believe it is hardware related :-(

Not sure what else to try...

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
If it helps to clarify, the loudness of in call sound from any open port on the phone is as follows in order of loudest to quietest:

1) Headphone jack
2) USB type c port
3) Bottom speaker
4) Top speaker / proximity sensor

This hopefully clarifies what I meant earlier by it sounding like it's coming from 'inside' the phone. The sound is loudest from the biggest open holes on the phone. But in any case it's very quiet from all 4 areas listed above..

I wonder if this is the same as the other 2 people who posted above?..

DarkWinterCloud

Jan 20, 2017
Brasil
www.profixstore.com.br
If it helps to clarify, the loudness of in call sound from any open port on the phone is as follows in order of loudest to quietest:

1) Headphone jack
2) USB type c port
3) Bottom speaker

This hopefully clarifies what I meant earlier by it sounding like it's coming from 'inside' the phone. The sound is loudest from the biggest open holes on the phone. But in any case it's very quiet from all 4 areas listed above..

Really it's mostly like to be a hardware issue...

I've opened my z2 plus a couple of times to make some mods and the earpiece is glued to the front screen by a double faced tape, so it's unlikely for it to have "fallen" from its place or something like that, since it's working.

I work at a repair shops and I see those problems with some iPhones. The zuk z2 earpiece is similar to the iPhone 4/4S. It has a exposed membrane that has a magnet underneath it that vibrates to produce sound, sometimes, some really small iron or metal particles get "attracted" by the magnet, and they prevent the membrane to freely vibrate, thus making the volume low or distorted...

Maybe that's the case?

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
Ah bugger!

Thank you for the additional info about the speaker. Interesting stuff. Perhaps it'll be worth opening up the phone and having a look around?..

Any tips on doing so?

Jun 23, 2016

1) Headphone jack
2) USB type c port
3) Bottom speaker

I have EXACTLY the same problem here...I am deciding whether to ship the zuk, with the best perspective to review it in 2 months, or keep it so and always use a wire or bluetooth headset...

Marvin

Aug 15, 2017
I have EXACTLY the same problem here...I am deciding whether to ship the zuk, with the best perspective to review it in 2 months, or keep it so and always use a wire or bluetooth headset...

Exact same problem for me as well. Too bad, phone only functioned properly for a week or so. Guess I've to ditch it and get something else :S

Marvin

Aug 15, 2017
Maybe it's the only solution, since software it's not helping out...

You'll need some tools in order to do it, but you can start searching on YouTube for some guides
Ah, this is wonderful, I might try this. Nothing to loose, since it's not functioning properly now anyhow.
Could you tell me how / where I can get a new earpiece that fits this phone? Or if your option is my problem, the metal piece, can I clean that up somehow?
By the way, I already pressed the holes from the outside with a needle, so I hope I didn't do more damage...

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
Interested to know more about this too. I'm armed with all the tools but just want to be sure of what I'm looking for when I open the phone up

DarkWinterCloud

Jan 20, 2017
Brasil
www.profixstore.com.br
Ah, this is wonderful, I might try this. Nothing to loose, since it's not functioning properly now anyhow.
Could you tell me how / where I can get a new earpiece that fits this phone? Or if your option is my problem, the metal piece, can I clean that up somehow?
By the way, I already pressed the holes from the outside with a needle, so I hope I didn't do more damage...
Interested to know more about this too. I'm armed with all the tools but just want to be sure of what I'm looking for when I open the phone up
Here is where you can get the earpiece:
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/For-...04-47de-b3f2-3d8e120210fd&transAbTest=ae803_2

And here is a good guide in how to disassemble the phone:

The earpiece is this part here:

Take care with the other parts near this since they can easily break.

Nelly

Aug 6, 2017
I too was hovering over the buy button for a replacement speaker part when suddenly today the in call speaker has begun working again, and is seemingly fully back to normal!..

I haven't done anything to correct this problem nor banged or dropped my phone recently. It's just completely randomly started working again.

Explain that...