My settings for up to 48hrs combined use battery

Feb 11, 2017
Ok, so this is my first major foray into the Android world and after coming from the world of iOS I've been having a lot of fun trying to make my phone as useful as possible, so my latest obsession has been with battery life, but balancing it with fluidity so it's actually usable and not just a statistic.

I've managed to get in the region of 10hr SOT, but I reckon it could be 20% higher. With slightly more aggressive settings on the advanced side, it could push 11 and possibly 12 hours. Screen-off time largely stays at 0-1%.

Previously we've talked about screen-on time and it's spoken about a lot, but it's also quite hard to track if the phone is dozing properly; I'm convinced that it screen on time is possibly eroded by events that are happening when the phone is off too, so I find now that using the 'Combined use' metric in Accubattery is far more useful. In the old screenshots below, it shows I used to get 28hrs or so of mixed usage - and this 'average' figure is great, since it compounds your usage for as long as the app is installed, so gets more and more accurate.

My current 'Combined use' figure is around 44hrs -- and this includes a lot of experimentation; my average Screen On is 12% (high), but I'm currently averaging around 7-8% per hour with my latest configuration, so I'd expect the combined use number to reach utopia -- 48hrs, or two days on a single charge!

It's worth also mentioning, that unless I'm making a trip and badly need extended battery life, I only charge my battery from around 10-15% to 50% to maintain its longevity. Accubattery reports that charging from 10% to 80% only consumes around 0.2 of a full cycle; charging from 10% to 50% uses only 0.05 of a cycle!

My usage is largely for Whatsapp, a lot of Chrome browsing with loads of tabs, a bit of Evernote, phone calls, Gmail -- basically, you're average user. No gaming I must add.

Here are my settings -- it's worth noting at this point that I'm still using the Harsha version of LineageOS, so I have access to some additional settings via LineageOS, kernels and frequency adjustments that I outline in the advanced section. You will probably also need root for many of these settings, and they're for improving both screen on and off time:

Basic
  1. Install L Speed - I did suggest using HEBF previously, but some people mentioned they had issues and since switching ROMs, I too ran into some issues with it. L Speed has proven to be a great replacement, and I simply switch to 'Battery' profile for all top-level options here. It's a great app that lets you do all sorts of other tweaks too; it's somewhere between HEBF and Kernel Adiutor. Working great with Varotone's LineageOS ROM.
  2. Install ForceDoze - this app is just incredible, and I've now replaced Greenify with it. Keeps the phone frozen in time whenever the screen is off. If it's not working, get on Google and troubleshoot why - it should work and works well when it does! You'll need root and/or ADB to get it working properly.
  3. Install Greenify - after switching this back and forth, I now have it on permanently in conjunction with Wakelock Manager. I was concerned that this overlapped with ForceDoze, but it actually works outside of doze too and helps to shut down dwindling processes which you can find in Wakelock Manager. If you get the Pro package, you'll be able to shutdown system processes too, but use cautiously.
  4. Install Wakelock Manager - this helps to identify things that are keeping your phone busy. Take a peek at the CPU wakelock and Wakeup Triggers tabs to give you info on what's happening. Helpfully, it links through to Greenify to help you hibernate the process/app.
  5. Turn off Location unless needed - I used to keep location services on all the time since I liked the weather widget, as my phone is completely 'Pixelled', but I now use the Pixel Widget from the app store that doesn't require location services (location is manual, a compromise) and it just updates once an hour. Location can be a huge battery drain.
  6. Turn off Google Location History (I'm not quite sure why anyone would want this on as it's a bit stalkerish!)
  7. Switch off Adaptive brightness and adjust the screen manually via Status Bar > Brightness Control, which lets you just swipe the status bar anywhere to adjust the screen brightness; keep the screen as low as is bearable at all times. It's boring but the screen is a big hungry battery whore.
  8. Wifi - network notification off
  9. Bluetooth off, unless needed
  10. Use AccuBattery app to monitor usage
  11. Install HEBF app from the Play Store - this has tons of interesting tweaks across the board, but simply switch on every option within the Battery section, including Ultra Extreme battery saver and Maximum for multiple core save; also the ones that fix the drain from Google Services (you can also experiment with other tweaks). Charge your phone to 100% and then go to Tools and calibrate the battery.
Advanced
  1. AKT Advanced Kernel Tweaks - I am now using the Project X.A.N.A balanced profile. I've played with this a lot and this seems to be working really well with Varotone's Lineage ROM.
  2. Kernel Adiutor app (or whichever kernel tweaker you might use) - personally, I opt for the Impulse governor, but you can use the standard Interactive governor too. I've found a sweet spot for setting the max frequency for all cores at around 960mhz, but you can adjust up/down to your own preferences. I've found down to 729mhz quite stable too. Also, I/O schedular I've set to FIOPS, but I'm not sure if this has much of an impact, if at all. - I have stopped playing with this now.
  3. Tasker app - I use this to automatically switch location services on/off whenever applicable applications require it, but obviously this is rather optional, since you can always just do this yourself.
Battery longevity
  1. Charge only to 50% or 80% if you need it, where possible. Obviously charge fully if you need the extended life for a long trip etc. Accubattery reports that charging from 10% to 80% only consumes around 0.2 of a full cycle; charging from 10% to 50% uses only 0.05 of a cycle!
That's it! My overall averages in the second screenshot are slightly skewed because the app was on before I found the golden configuration and battery life was dying badly at around 12-13% per/hr with the screen on when I was first playing around a few days ago. The first screenshot with 'Discharging Speed' is a much better indicator of current averages with these settings.

Will update with further info here if I later remember something I've forgotten. Have fun with it!

Screenshot_20170316-142137.png Screenshot_20170316-142151.png

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
Awesome! Personally feel this should be in the general section and not in the "Custom ROMs" section of the forum though.

Feb 11, 2017
Just made a couple of updates:
  1. Added Greenify back into the mix to improve screen off time
  2. Added battery calibration as part of the HEBF process

hugo9191

Mar 9, 2017
Hey, have you thought about using 3G instead of 4G? I think it may reduce the energy spent on traffic (I'm not sure)

Jan 9, 2017
Have you tried AKT ? It is an app/profile changer to you decide which is the best definition of speed/battery for you. It has some already made profiles that helps a lot(at least for me and my friend). It works on any device that has SnapDragon 820 and our Zuk have it. I recommend selecting Battery>Project Zhana(the second best for battery). If u want some more speed go with Nameless Battery or Balanced>Fusion. If u want more battery(low performance) go with Project X.A.N.A. I hope u can go even longer 10 hours sot with it.

Feb 6, 2017
Tried this.. After doing so my phone will not sleep. 52 to 34% overnight. Before it would sleep. Nothing changed with my phone asides from forceddoze and installing/setting up hebf

Oct 22, 2016
After a reboot it started deep sleeping, but still I don't feel any real boost in battery life. I'm going to charge it up to 100% and watch it tomorrow during the day. But I didn't decrease CPU speed in kernel auditor, because it didn't feel as smooth as it should be with this CPU :) Anyway if I see at least 8 hours of SOT I will be happy. Usualy I get 5.5 - 6 hours on DU.

Feb 11, 2017
I've been doing some further experimentation with AKT since i didn't have much fun with Project XANA but am having absolutely killer results now with Project Zana -- will post my results shortly.

Guys with problems with ForceDoze, what ROMs are you using and do you have any other apps that could be conflicting with it related to dozing? Are you rooted? Is ADB enabled?

Separately; you can obviously pick and choose items from the lists above to implement but logically, each item that is not used will cost battery life (as long as when it's used, it's doing what it's supposed to, of course!)

I've just been out for almost 5hrs and my battery didn't drop 1%.

Screenshot_20170319-174834.png

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2016
After a reboot it started deep sleeping, but still I don't feel any real boost in battery life. I'm going to charge it up to 100% and watch it tomorrow during the day. But I didn't decrease CPU speed in kernel auditor, because it didn't feel as smooth as it should be with this CPU :) Anyway if I see at least 8 hours of SOT I will be happy. Usualy I get 5.5 - 6 hours on DU.

DU dont have doze

Oct 22, 2016
well, everything went awry. the phone was in deep sleep only half of the night and by the morning it had lost about 8% of the charge. but when I started using it, it went crazy. It started heating up and loosing charge fast. 20% in 40 minutes. and I only used chrome. Wakelock detector showed that huge amount of wakelocks were due to SyncLoopWakeLock. Is it possible that battery optimizations somehow messed up with synchronization?

Anyway, I deleted those apps and cleared dalvick/cache... It seems like things went back to normal, but I'm still interested in getting 8 hours of SOT and I will read about that AKT...

I'm on the latest DU ROM, ADB enabled.

Feb 11, 2017
With greenifying do you enable the aggressive doze and turn on doze on the go option?
I've now switched Greenify off as i was getting less performance from doze; stick with ForceDoze in my opinion as it seems the most effective overall (as long as it's definitely working on your device!).

Guys with DU; I haven't tested that ROM so i cant really advise too much, but these results are on the now deprecated LineageOS by Harsha that I've decided to keep. Varotone's LineageOS may yield similar (maybe even better!) results. When i last tested it, it had incredible Antutu results so i imagine running a newer build of LineageOS is advisable.

Feb 11, 2017
well, everything went awry. the phone was in deep sleep only half of the night and by the morning it had lost about 8% of the charge. but when I started using it, it went crazy. It started heating up and loosing charge fast. 20% in 40 minutes. and I only used chrome. Wakelock detector showed that huge amount of wakelocks were due to SyncLoopWakeLock. Is it possible that battery optimizations somehow messed up with synchronization?

Anyway, I deleted those apps and cleared dalvick/cache... It seems like things went back to normal, but I'm still interested in getting 8 hours of SOT and I will read about that AKT...

I'm on the latest DU ROM, ADB enabled.
Sounds fair enough, although it might be worth going back through the settings on HEBF and testing each one by one to see which work/don't work, rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water... Up to you i guess. :)

Mar 12, 2017
Have you tried AKT ? It is an app/profile changer to you decide which is the best definition of speed/battery for you. It has some already made profiles that helps a lot(at least for me and my friend). It works on any device that has SnapDragon 820 and our Zuk have it. I recommend selecting Battery>Project Zhana(the second best for battery). If u want some more speed go with Nameless Battery or Balanced>Fusion. If u want more battery(low performance) go with Project X.A.N.A. I hope u can go even longer 10 hours sot with it.
Can you send link?

Sent from my h440n from Serbia

Feb 11, 2017
You can find the AKT thread over here, but bear in mind that these are dedicated to the OnePlus 3 and 3T, so the correlations to our device aren't too accurate: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/how-to/advanced-interactive-governor-tweaks-t3476589

Speaking of which, since I have absolutely nothing to do (not entirely true) I decided to play with most of the profiles, and went one step further and used the 4% option of Antutu Battery Tester to run some of the popular profiles through their paces.

Caveats:
  • It wasn't mega scientific (didn't 100% reset for each profile, but kept them around the same battery %)
  • Only used the 4% tester since I didn't have an infinite amount of time
  • These are only indicative, but still useful, I think
  • These may only be indicative of my kernel, but at least you have a baseline if you're on a different ROM
TL;DR - go for the Balanced profiles over the Battery profiles since the latter seem to perform badly on the Z2 (could be my kernel). The best performer was Project XANA Balanced, but if you want a little more zip, go for Hawkpepper or Project Zhana Balanced. The benchmarks also closely followed my anecdotal experience when playing with each profile beforehand.

I'll update my original post shortly with updated info once I've worked out the right balance amongst my other settings and most importantly, to see if battery life goes up further from my original 10hrs+ SOT.

--

Project Zhana Balanced:

Project Zana Balanced.png

Project Zhana Battery:

Project Zana Battery.png

Fairpark:

Fairpark.png

Ghostpepper:

Ghostpepper.png

Project XANA Battery Extreme:

Project Xana Battery Extreme.png

Hawkpepper:

Hawkpepper.png

Project XANA Balanced:

Project Xana Balanced.png

Oct 22, 2016
I'm on DU 21.03.17.

I have just installed their APK and been playing with profiles. XANA balanced felt laggy, and nameless performance feels really fast. Will see SOT with performance profile. I really don't want to slow down my phone :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that my phone didn't crash, and profiles work - you can feel how phone behavior changes after you switch a profile.