New Users Start Here --> Comparison of available ROMs

Which ROM are you currently most satisfied with as a daily driver?

• ZUI 1.9 (CN or Int'l versions)

• ZUI 2.1.059

• CM13 (LR Team)

• CM13 (Flour_Mo)

• CM14

• Mokee

• AOKP

• ZUI 2.0 (Indian version)

• ZUI 2.3 (CN version)

• Resurrection Remix

Results are only viewable after voting.

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
This thread offers a side-by-side comparison of the various ROM options that have the potential to be daily drivers. The intent is not to capture all ROMs ... just those that are stable and being supported

Will update OP as user feedback gets posted here so it can be a helpful starting point for those wondering about which ROM to use

ZUI (China)
Pros:
+ Official updates available (Lenovo has indicated Nougat will come) and theoretically the most stable (designed by Zuk devs)
+ Fewest bugs (in theory, since Lenovo devs are based in CN)
+ Future OTA + incremental updates possible
+ U Touch fully functional (incl. swipe left/right to recent apps)
+ Best battery life (partly due to safe center's aggressive management of permissions and memory)
+ ZUI "quick settings" accessible by swiping up from bottom of screen
+ Best camera (in theory, since Zuk devs able to optimize to hardware)

Cons:
- Won't work without safe center and its unusual app permission system (some users have reported delays in receiving notifications)
- Apps keep getting pushed from RAM, reducing multi-tasking speed
- Chinese bloatware (but can be deleted/frozen)
- Only Chinese and English languages; other languages require workarounds
- Inability to expand notifications
- Inability to set third-party lockscreen apps
- Limited themes and themeability
- Google services & play store must be manually installed

ZUI (India)
Pros:
+ Official updates available and theoretically the second-most stable rom (designed by Zuk devs)
+ Multiple language options
+ Fewer bugs (built by Lenovo devs, but likely second priority vs. CN rom due to relative size of CN vs. int'l/India user base)
+ Future OTA + incremental updates possible
+ Google services, play store, Google launcher already integrated

Cons:
- Won't work without safe center and its unusual app permission system (some users have reported delays in receiving notifications)
- Apps keep getting pushed from RAM, reducing multi-tasking speed
- Inability to expand notifications
- Inability to set third-party lockscreen apps
- Limited themes and themeability

CM13 (LR Team & Fedor917 builds most stable)
Pros:
+ More familiar / standard for android users
+ Rooted and full Xposed compatibility
+ Better app compatibility with Play store and official apps, easier to get other app devs to resolve issues
+ Better integration with Google services
+ CM theme engine with large resource of existing themes
+ Multiple dev teams working on CM13 (LRTeam, Flour_Mo, Fedor917, etc.)

Cons:
- Network location (previously known as GPS) bug in some versions (though some users have reported it resolved in Fedor917's latest builds)
- Wifi to data switching issue in earlier versions (though many users have reported it solved in LRTeam and Fedor917's latest builds)
- U Touch can be modified to recognize tap, long tap, swipe left, swipe right ... and mapped to any android system KeyEvent. But cannot fully replicate ZUI's swipe left/right to access last used apps
- No OTA or incremental updates
- Only Unofficial builds available so far

Mokee (official version maintained by Flour_Mo)
Pros:
+ Based off CM13, familiar to most android users
+ Official support available with Nightlies and Release builds
+ OTA + incremental updates available with donation
+ Google services come integrated
+ Compatible with CM theme engine with large resource of existing themes
+ Built-in Aegis app combines wakelock, app startup, background services management (essentially a souped-up Greenify + Aggressive Doze + PowerNap + Servicely rolled into one). Results in very good battery life and high degree of fine tuning over permissions and background services

Cons:
- U Touch can be modified to recognize tap, long tap, swipe left, swipe right ... and mapped to any android system KeyEvent. But cannot fully replicate ZUI's swipe left/right to access last used apps
- Comes with some Chinese bloatware e.g. MokeePay, WeatherService since Mokee is primarily aimed at users based in China (but these can be easily deleted/disabled)
- ROM size generally larger than CM13 builds as there are a some unique Mokee services / apps embedded
- Some system sounds are missing / broken so you have to select another sound in its place (also reported as "Alarm clock" bug by some users who thought it was an alarm wakelock bug)

Ressurection Remix (Fedor917 build most stable)
Pros:
+ Based off CM13, familiar to most android users
+ More customization options than CM13 or Mokee
+ Compatible with CM theme engine with large resource of existing themes

Cons:
- No OTA or incremental updates
- Only Unofficial builds available so far

CM14 (ZR Team build most regularly updated)
Pros:
+ Android N!

Cons:
- Quite a few bugs reported:
1. Cannot change battery indicator or display percentage
2. Big Core CPU cluster locked to 2.1 GHz
3. Some CM apps may be broken, e.g. camera issues
4. Switching from WiFi to Data is broken; slow WiFi connectivity
5. Limited quick settings toggles available

MIUI (Francko76)
Pros:
+ ZUI features (UTouch, Swipe on UTouch, Double tap to wake, LED, VoLTE) working
+ Google services pre-installed
+ Multi-language
+ No Chinese bloatware

Cons:
- GPS broken
- Some users reporting Play services, MI Theme engine bugs
- Some users reporting overheating, processors locked at max frequency
- For stock android users, MIUI is very un-stock-like (takes getting used to)
- MIUI ROM itself is quite bloated, takes up ~2x the space of CM13-based ROMs (900+MB)

AOKP (no maintainer)
Pros:
+ Closest to AOSP
+ Supports substratum / layers theming which is more customizable for each app than CMTE (to be confirmed, can any users of AOKP report back?)

Cons:
- Not actively being developed

Last edited:

SID

Sep 1, 2016
I use CM13 0901 by LR team.
I have fully functional following points from your list:
+ notification LED
+ Exact location bug is avoidable by Location configuration "Device only"

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
thanks @SID, updated OP

+ notification LED

Aug 4, 2016
Hello i have installed cm 13 0901 just now. How can i quit the chinese apps?

Led working.

Button only does a pair of movements.

Sep 6, 2016
Hello i have installed cm 13 0901 just now. How can i quit the chinese apps?

Led working.

Button only does a pair of movements.
I have remove chinese apps with root browser. Download it from play store.
Go to system/app and remove all
chinese apps folders. Reboot your phone.
This instructions I have got from zuktastic

Oct 21, 2016
Rio De Janeiro
I have remove chinese apps with root browser. Download it from play store.
Go to system/app and remove all
chinese apps folders. Reboot your phone.
This instructions I have got from zuktastic
Hello vgran,

I also would like to remove Chinese apps, could you please be so kind to inform me about requirements to install and use this app.
Which is the developer, since there are various with same name?

"My own requirements are":
  1. I wont brick my already bricked (one time) Z2:(
  2. I wont root my Z2 if this is a risky option (i.e. missing OTA forever, opening ports to Virus, Malware, no rolling-back unroot possibility)
Thanks and regards!

Running Lenovo ZUK Z2 with ZUI version 2.3.042ST

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
Bumping this thread as OP and survey has been edited to reflect newer ROM options that became available recently

Oct 21, 2016
Rio De Janeiro
Bumping this thread as OP and survey has been edited to reflect newer ROM options that became available recently
Hello, interesting survey!

I'm using ZUI 2.3.042ST and I like it but is worth to say that it is the only one version I tried so far.:)
I'm a very new Android and especially Lenovo Zuk Z2 user.:rolleyes:
I really would like to get rid of Chinese apps, but cannot use TWRP and other "brute-force" methods because the risk to brick the phone is high and also doing that we loose the warranty and OTA updates which I wont miss.:eek:
Hope Lenovo will add more languages in future (I'm Italian but live in Brazil) despite the fact that English doesn't represents an obstacle to me in the phone.

Regards and see you!:cool:

Toxic09

Oct 16, 2016
+ notification LED
Hey how did you enable swipe left right for recent apps in cm for U touch??
Could you share

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
i don't think an exact replica of the ZUI behavior is possible on CM-based roms (but very happy to be proven wrong)

here's my solution:
1. modify U Touch keylayout file to configure either swipe left or swipe right key to APP_SWITCH
2. in CM13 (after 9/1 builds) based roms, go to Settings --> Buttons --> Recents button --> Short press action --> select "Last app"

so when you swipe right or left (depending on which one you configured in keylayout), you return to the last used app

Hey how did you enable swipe left right for recent apps in cm for U touch??
Could you share

valouris

Nov 5, 2016
+1 for sticky from me, this is sorely needed, and regular updates would indeed be great. Maybe even split the CM13 to the different builds.

raifuu

Nov 8, 2016
According to the descriptions above, indian version has fewer cons rather than chinese version. So for daily driver (and for future OTA update), will it be better if I choose indian rom rather than chinese rom?

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
that really depends on where you are located

if in china - you will get OTA updates on china rom, no need for VPN. and because zuk is a chinese company, china has the largest installed base of z2 users - the china rom will in theory be the most stable, fastest to get Nougat, etc.

indian rom is more for those who need multi-language and play services support (though china version can also get play services via sideloading). i'll bet that indian rom is going to be slower to get updates than china rom because zuk devs are chinese

According to the descriptions above, indian version has fewer cons rather than chinese version. So for daily driver (and for future OTA update), will it be better if I choose indian rom rather than chinese rom?

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
edited title, added links to OP

note to mods: i see more users asking generic questions like "what is the best rom" or "where can i find the roms" - you might want to put this thread on sticky to limit such posts on the forum going forward ...

raifuu

Nov 8, 2016
that really depends on where you are located

if in china - you will get OTA updates on china rom, no need for VPN. and because zuk is a chinese company, china has the largest installed base of z2 users - the china rom will in theory be the most stable, fastest to get Nougat, etc.

indian rom is more for those who need multi-language and play services support (though china version can also get play services via sideloading). i'll bet that indian rom is going to be slower to get updates than china rom because zuk devs are chinese
I live in Indonesia. For me english language is enough, both supports english language right? I heard that chinese version has many bloatware, also sometimes it doesn't compatible with google services, like playstore etc. Cause we know, google is blocked in china. That's why I maybe prefer indian version, it looks like a global version for me.

And according to descriptions above, chinese version has more cons like not expandable notifications, 3G over 4G, etc. So for me, maybe it will be more comfortable to use indian rather than chinese version.

Btw, I also heard that in chinese version, there's no available option for on-screen button like in indian version. So we only can depend on its single physical button. Is it right?

ertmuirm

Sep 25, 2016
India rom also doesn't allow for expandable notifications (sorry, missed it out in the list of cons and have updated). This may change with Nougat (since direct reply from notifications is a key feature of Nougat's upgrade), but I'm sure China version will get Nougat first

I haven't tried India rom personally, so I don't know if the 3G/4G and on screen button issues are also there. Maybe you can try both out and give us some feedback and I can update the post

I live in Indonesia. For me english language is enough, both supports english language right? I heard that chinese version has many bloatware, also sometimes it doesn't compatible with google services, like playstore etc. Cause we know, google is blocked in china. That's why I maybe prefer indian version, it looks like a global version for me.

And according to descriptions above, chinese version has more cons like not expandable notifications, 3G over 4G, etc. So for me, maybe it will be more comfortable to use indian rather than chinese version.

Btw, I also heard that in chinese version, there's no available option for on-screen button like in indian version. So we only can depend on its single physical button. Is it right?