Newbie question: Zuk Edge battery life

TheOracle

Sep 27, 2017
Hello all. I'm looking to buy this phone but I can't seem to get real world user information on the battery life. Some say 4hrs screen on time others say 6-7hrs. I'm coming from a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and average about 7-8hrs of sot syncing hangouts, whatsapp, two email accounts etc. No Bluetooth or gps. Rarely play games.

Battery life is very important for me. Can anyone give me a real life number please?

alecuba16

Jun 30, 2017
I own a zuk edge with custom rom that I have modified to last 6-7h of screen on time and I do not recommed the zuk edge because the official rom has many bugs and the battery life is poor without modifications (scripts, etc), also the display is regular ...

I would consider the redmi pro because its splendid OLED display and the screen time is over 7h, even the cpu and gpu is 80K antutu, but the battery life is very good (48h or 7-8h screen on time with the proper adjustments) and the quality of the videos and movies on this device is pretty good for the price (around $140)

There are also other good devices, but you should consider oled panels / amoled if you want good image quality.

Anyway this is my maximum screen on time with low usage (no games just telegram and browse forums ,etc) and my script on official zui 2.5 rom (android 7) , but this rom has a bug that misses notifications , so now I'm on custom rom that takes more battery, about 7h maximum of screen on time.

Last edited:

TheOracle

Sep 27, 2017
I own a zuk edge with custom rom that I have modified to last 6-7h of screen on time and I do not recommed the zuk edge because the official rom has many bugs and the battery life is poor without modifications (scripts, etc), also the display is regular ...

I would consider the redmi pro because its splendid OLED display and the screen time is over 7h, even the cpu and gpu is 80K antutu, but the battery life is very good (48h or 7-8h screen on time with the proper adjustments) and the quality of the videos and movies on this device is pretty good for the price (around $140)

There are also other good devices, but you should consider oled panels / amoled if you want good image quality.

Anyway this is my maximum screen on time with low usage (no games just telegram and browse forums ,etc) and my script on official zui 2.5 rom (android 7) , but this rom has a bug that misses notifications , so now I'm on custom rom that takes more battery, about 7h maximum of screen on time.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a Xiaomi fan and I actually want to buy the Mi Mix 2 when the price drops a little. Since I already have the Note 3 there's no reason to get the Redmi Pro and I'm not a big fan of Amoled anyway. The main reason I want the Edge apart from superb value is the small size for a 5.5 inch screen, the same reason I want the Mix 2.

I'm a little confused by your statement though. What is poor battery life for the stock rom? You say 7 hours with your modified script but what was it before with the stock rom? The 9+ hours in the pic is from the customized rom I guess?

alecuba16

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I'm a Xiaomi fan and I actually want to buy the Mi Mix 2 when the price drops a little. Since I already have the Note 3 there's no reason to get the Redmi Pro and I'm not a big fan of Amoled anyway. The main reason I want the Edge apart from superb value is the small size for a 5.5 inch screen, the same reason I want the Mix 2.

I'm a little confused by your statement though. What is poor battery life for the stock rom? You say 7 hours with your modified script but what was it before with the stock rom? The 9+ hours in the pic is from the customized rom I guess?
The OLED/AMOLED is like the ferrari of the cars, they have the best image quality without any doubt, furthermore OLED panel of redmi pro have a good light power even under the sun. The advantage between note 3 and redmi pro is about screen which is the only thing that connects you to the virtual world. I'm a user who usually see videos, tv shows and browse forums I don't play many games.... so I always look for good image quality and good battery.

In this aspect zuk edge sucks, screen quality is just a $100 regular IPS panel, I would say that redmi 4A which is a $85 phone has better quality, no jokes. I was looking for the same as you and I had a iuni u3 that was almost same size (except in deep) as zuk edge, the iuni u3 with ips panel got a better image quality , and the camera is far better than the camera on the zuk edge which sucks, it has the quality of $100 phone at night.

Again I don't recommend this phone, you should buy zuk z2 pro doesn't matter that the screen is 5" but the image quality and camera worth it. I bought it because someone in the spanish forum told me that it got an amOLED panel, but he was wrong and I paid $280 for a very bad IPS panel with original roms plenty of bugs, just wait a little more for better Mi Mix copies. I was also waiting for the price drop of the mi mix because my limit was $300, the alternative umidigi crystal is IPS and the doogee mix is 720p amoled panel with big borders.

About screen on time on both roms (custom and original with my script) gives about between 7 and 9 SoT with low usage (browse ,message apps..), stock is about 5h-6h at most on 2.5.500.

Last edited:

TheOracle

Sep 27, 2017
The OLED/AMOLED is like the ferrari of the cars, they have the best image quality without any doubt, furthermore OLED panel of redmi pro have a good light power even under the sun. The advantage between note 3 and redmi pro is about screen which is the only thing that connects you to the virtual world. I'm a user who usually see videos, tv shows and browse forums I don't play many games.... so I always look for good image quality and good battery.

In this aspect zuk edge sucks, screen quality is just a $100 regular IPS panel, I would say that redmi 4A which is a $85 phone has better quality, no jokes. I was looking for the same as you and I had a iuni u3 that was almost same size (except in deep) as zuk edge, the iuni u3 with ips panel got a better image quality , and the camera is far better than the camera on the zuk edge which sucks, it has the quality of $100 phone at night.

Again I don't recommend this phone, you should buy zuk z2 pro doesn't matter that the screen is 5" but the image quality and camera worth it. I bought it because someone in the spanish forum told me that it got an amOLED panel, but he was wrong and I paid $280 for a very bad IPS panel with original roms plenty of bugs, just wait a little more for better Mi Mix copies. I was also waiting for the price drop of the mi mix because my limit was $300, the alternative umidigi crystal is IPS and the doogee mix is 720p amoled panel with big borders.

About screen on time on both roms (custom and original with my script) gives about between 7 and 9 SoT with low usage (browse ,message apps..), stock is about 5h-6h at most on 2.5.500.
I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of Amoled but it's not important to me. I'm also not interested in the Redmi Pro in any way at all especially since all the phones you mention don't have the lte bands I require. In fact most Mediatek chips don't have the required bands.

I've owned many Chinese phones including Blackview, ZTE, Jiayu, iNew, THL, Nubia, Lenovo, Asus, Huawei P10 currently, Redmi Note 3 currently and some I've forgotten. Having owned various brands I've settled on a few that are worthwhile. The fringe Chinese brands are generally crap to be honest. As for the Z2 Pro, I want a 5.5 inch+ phone so that's ruled out.

The stock screen on time seems reasonable for the Edge and a 3100mah battery. 4-5 hours is what most users report so your figures are in line with what I expect. I carry two phones that are set up exactly the same so I can survive with 4-5 hours even though I would like more. The notifications problem is somewhat worrisome but I may overlook it hoping an update will solve it or eventually flash another rom.

Again thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.

Last edited:

alecuba16

Jun 30, 2017
I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of Amoled but it's not important to me. I'm also not interested in the Redmi Pro in any way at all especially since all the phones you mention don't have the lte bands I require. In fact most Mediatek chips don't have the required bands.

I've owned many Chinese phones including Blackview, ZTE, Jiayu, iNew, THL, Nubia, Lenovo, Asus, Huawei P10 currently, Redmi Note 3 currently and some I've forgotten. Having owned various brands I've settled on a few that are worthwhile. The fringe Chinese brands are generally crap to be honest.

The stock screen on time seems reasonable for the Edge and a 3100mah battery. 4-5 hours is what most users report so your figures are in line with what I expect. The notifications problem is somewhat worrisome but I may overlook it hoping an update will solve it or eventually flash another rom.

Again thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.
Unfortunately there is no plan from lenovo to fix this issue in the future, I have asked many times in lenovo official chinese forum and the people also reports this bug since 4 updates ago (including the update from android 6->7) without any reply from lenovo. I would expect nothing from updates.

The only work arround is use a custom rom, many of them with poor battery life compared with the official and another bug (No offline charge) this means that if your phone is off and connects to any charger it will turn on automatically then the notifications can bother you at night if the phone is not in silent mode. The only custom rom that have offline charge is the flyme but it has the dual sim bug ; you cannot turn off the second sim if it is inserted. Another bugs are present but they are minor bugs.

Any of the custom roms needs a script for optimize the SOT if you like to try I made one for zuk edge based on the AKT assier script but for SD821 and removed many settings that were for oneplus3. If you want to try and customize my script settings, here is attached for you and here is the link to check the info(voltage tables and so on) :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LyVyfuaPfOLw0uc3Sjnt0QbAYDpXmkvgcqdSAwDcfNk/

If you made more adjustements and got better results of SOT and performance, tell me.

Attachments

nero355

Jan 14, 2017

TheOracle

Sep 27, 2017
I'm definitely getting the Mi Mix 2 in a few months when the global rom is out.

I'm disappointed in the Mi Max 2, If it had come with the SD660 then maybe. It's also too big.

mixa

Jan 11, 2017
Swiss
ZUK Edge with the unofficial Mokee 7.1.2 build from August and very few mods of mine gets me about 6 to 7 hours of SoT, 1hrs if calls or less per day, Skype and Allo actively, occasional Facebook lite, Aliexpress app and browsing with Opera + some YouTube.
Most of the time with that usage it's around 6hrs+ SoT and 10-15% left.

gxthelord

Nov 2, 2017

hi I know this maybe quite old in any chance if you saw this, do I just flash this zip file? or need to select the profile from AKT?