OTA from 3.5.259 to 3.5.300

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
I admire your persistence guys, but I dont get it at all :p I already tried all that...

The fix should be a bit annoying, but just follow it once step by step and you will not have any problems later

I believe it will be fixed later if Zui add google at its system, thats not the case now, so...

Sep 5, 2017
Can't blame a guy for trying. ;)

Trying to fix something is less work for me since i can normally use the phone during the fixing, then setting up the phone from scratch with all the app settings and stuff. :)

For now, this 'works' for me. I'm not too dependent on syncing new contacts often so it's no real deal breaker for me at this time to try some stuff and see if it works. ;)

We'll have to wait and see if Zui gets support for Google framework services but i'm not going to hold my breath. It's great that we're still getting updates for a phone where the actual brand has stopped existing, but i don't think adding support for Google services to Zui is high on the priorities list. We're also still waiting for official Oreo OTA which has been delayed some time now. My feeling is that official Oreo update might be the last update we'll be getting for our ZUK.

Edit: also, some experimenting and sharing of experiments could be helpfull. When i first got this phone, I was kind of bummed that the Google rewards program wasn't working. I never got any surveys to earn any Google Play credits. Where on my previous phone, i used to get surveys every other week or so. Only after installing the Google Partner setup, I got new surveys all of a sudden. So it seems that is a requirement for the Rewards program to work.

Last edited:

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
We'll have to wait and see if Zui gets support for Google framework services but i'm not going to hold my breath. It's great that we're still getting updates for a phone where the actual brand has stopped existing, but i don't think adding support for Google services to Zui is high on the priorities list.
To be honest I hate phones with a lot of Google crap preinstalled so I hope our ZUK Z2 Pro will never become a "Google phone" :D
We're also still waiting for official Oreo OTA which has been delayed some time now. My feeling is that official Oreo update might be the last update we'll be getting for our ZUK.
Someone said that even Android 9 can be expected at the end of 2018 so I don't think that the support will end very soon :)
Edit: also, some experimenting and sharing of experiments could be helpfull. When i first got this phone, I was kind of bummed that the Google rewards program wasn't working. I never got any surveys to earn any Google Play credits. Where on my previous phone, i used to get surveys every other week or so. Only after installing the Google Partner setup, I got new surveys all of a sudden. So it seems that is a requirement for the Rewards program to work.
Another example of something I definitely DO NOT WANT on my phone! :confused:o_O

Sep 5, 2017
To be honest I hate phones with a lot of Google crap preinstalled so I hope our ZUK Z2 Pro will never become a "Google phone" :D

Someone said that even Android 9 can be expected at the end of 2018 so I don't think that the support will end very soon :)

Another example of something I definitely DO NOT WANT on my phone! :confused:o_O
Preinstalled crap is never good. Best when it can be uninstalled. I did however notice that with the last update on our Zuk, there was Wechat preinstalled, maybe qq in the past, and some more apps that arrived with updates. Crap = crap, i don't care if its Chinese, Wester or even Russian for all i care.. It's all there to make money off of you or spy on you anyways. Only difference is the company or country behind it.

Also, if someone mentions anything about updat schedules well.. That's nice for someone. I have heard spokespersons for brands promising updates for phones that in the end never came so I always take news like that with a grain of salt to be honest.

And for the rewards program, well.. It's the only way i can get compensated by Google for spying on me. Its not like they arent spying on me/ us anyways using the phone. Or are you not using any Google service on the ohone? No play store? No gmail? Nothing?

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
So guys, for you having trouble with google contact sync, can you please test something?

Uninstall google sync contact and google contact app, then download google contact again from playstore.

Add it to autostart in security (safecenter)

Download this and add to autostart too
(Not the associated autostart)

Open google contacts again.

PS: on security (safe center) dont tick it, add it to white list.

Btw, what do you think about 3.5.300? Any review? Is battery good? I didnt update yet

rbrandao

Apr 5, 2017
SP - Brazil
My Google Contacts, Gmail, Calendar, etc weren't syncing at first, but it was my mistake, I forgot to install the Google Partner... Once installing it, everything worked as expected.
I just made another test and it synced perfectly. Besides adding them to Security Center whitelist, DON'T FORGET to disable the Battery Optimization of those apps, as it will mess with syncing processings...

Regarding the ZUI 3.5.300, I feel it more fluid and less buggy than the 3.1.218 I had... Battery seems lasting pretty the same as before. I noticed the fingerprint scanner is more responsible and faster on unlocking the phone... For me all good for now.

valyvis10

Mar 25, 2017
Work, bruneba.
Only thing is that zui dialer don't save on google and same dialer, when select only google account, don't sync, 0 contacts.

Sep 5, 2017
So guys, for you having trouble with google contact sync, can you please test something?

Uninstall google sync contact and google contact app, then download google contact again from playstore.

Add it to autostart in security (safecenter)

Download this and add to autostart too
(Not the associated autostart)

Open google contacts again.

PS: on security (safe center) dont tick it, add it to white list.

Btw, what do you think about 3.5.300? Any review? Is battery good? I didnt update yet
300 seems faster than the previous update to me. Battery can't tell yet. Have only been running this version since Monday so it might need some time to settle in. Overall for me it seems worse, but ive been using the Zuk more than usual so hard to tell yet.

I performed the steps you mentioned. Some success.. During the process I did manage to figure out a workaround it seems. I'm using the default mail client on the zuk, the one that comes with the Zui updates (the WPS mail zui version) I have set mail sync to sync manually. I noticed that with your versions, changes to contacts (and new contacts) do not get synced when manually retrieving mail (syncing) , eventho the contacts are set to sync in the mail program. If I uncheck the "sync contacts" under settings, exit the screen, go back in the settings screen and check "sync contacts" again, they do get synced. Once. So it does work, just not scheduled it seems. From the Google contact app there is no way to manually sync the contacts. At least, i can't find it.

I've given the contacts app, google contact sync all permissions, and whitelisted them in the autostart section under security.

Funny thing is, when i set the mail client to sync real time with the exchange server (push mail) the contacts do seem to be syncing. Just occured to me that part of my specific problem might be with the default mail client in my case lol.

Sep 12, 2017
After a week usage, randomly i got brutal battery usage, like system 30% and system 25% and it get 25% of the battery in the night without any usage. Any good idea how can i find whats do it?

bruneba

Apr 8, 2017
After a week usage, randomly i got brutal battery usage, like system 30% and system 25% and it get 25% of the battery in the night without any usage. Any good idea how can i find whats do it?
Did you try a clean flash before updating?

Sep 5, 2017
Depends if ur rooted. If you are not rooted, troubleshooting this can be difficult. In both cases try using a wakelock app. I have used Wakelock Detector lite with mixed results.. It can be used without root if you read the apps instructions carefully.

I have had the same draining issues over night too, with different software versions on the zuk. I have read different reasons for this. Ive seen with wakelock detector that some apps keep the device awake. Ive disabled/removed those. Drain was less, but still there, like 20%/30% over night.
Only things I can think is left after this is some Google or Android internal service thats not specified under apps explicitly and gets grouped under 'Android system' for example, or a badly implemented/optimised driver. But im no Android expert, i might be wrong about this.

I've read on here that some guy noticed that after some updates, the processors/cores don't get clocked down when idle. Maybe that's the problem? (again, might be firmware/driver issue) Ive implemented the latest 2 updates last week, the last one yesterday, so i don't know yet if the drain is better with this version. It takes some days for the battery to give the correct readings after an Android update so the first few days after updating battery is worse anyways.

Sep 12, 2017
So i let it drain a night, it go from 78 to 50, in normal settings i can see that the system use the power, but the wakelock detector didnt show me any info... I will download BBS now and give another try.

@bruneba it was actually zui1.9 --> ota ota --> 3.1.xx --> ota 3.5.300, but the problem its gives this problem only after a week usage...
Lets see now with bbs.