Sim Card dead after about 40 days

Sasterask

Jul 22, 2016
Hi!

I got my Zuk Z2 in de middle of july, right after that i inserted a brand new sim card into the phone. Everything worked fine until 46 days later. The phone was in airplane mode over night, when i switched it of it said that there was no service. A reboot later it didn't recognize the sim card at all. So i got a new sim card again and everything seemed to be working fine. Until today, again about 40 days after the last sim card switch, the problem is back. The sim card is not recognized by any mobile phone. So it looks like my Zuk Z2 is destroying sim cards. Which is kind of a pain in the ass.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? Maybe found a solution?

br

System3

Aug 18, 2016
Any chance that a lot of writes happen on your sim card, maybe contacts sync or something? I think i read something about it sometime back, but can't find it now. While the card can sustain a lot of writes. at some point it is dead.

Sasterask

Jul 22, 2016
Any chance that a lot of writes happen on your sim card, maybe contacts sync or something? I think i read something about it sometime back, but can't find it now. While the card can sustain a lot of writes. at some point it is dead.
Well, after some more research online it seems like you weren't that far off. There was/is a similar problem with oppo/ fairphone and other manufacturers and sim cards from specific german/austrian providers. Though it's not the contacts but something called an MEC-Request which is computed wrong and rewrites the sim card quite often until its limit of 150k rewrites is reached and then it's destroyed.

you can read more at: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp2-kills-some-sim-cards/16680/11

I didn't find a solution until now but it seems like you need a specific sim card that does not support this feature.

br

Sep 15, 2016
Hi!

I got my Zuk Z2 in de middle of july, right after that i inserted a brand new sim card into the phone. Everything worked fine until 46 days later. The phone was in airplane mode over night, when i switched it of it said that there was no service. A reboot later it didn't recognize the sim card at all. So i got a new sim card again and everything seemed to be working fine. Until today, again about 40 days after the last sim card switch, the problem is back. The sim card is not recognized by any mobile phone. So it looks like my Zuk Z2 is destroying sim cards. Which is kind of a pain in the ass.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? Maybe found a solution?

br
Hi Sasterask,

I had the same problem. My ZUK Z2 (non-pro) damaged 2 SIMs within 10 days from receipt and activation. So I had to reflash the firmware twice as my phone would not recognise the new SIM. I went to the operator and they told me that there are some phones that would destroy normal SIMs more often, and ZUK Z2 seems to be one of those phones. Operator gave me a new SIM (kind of special SIM which would hold longer and be more resilient to damages). Since then I did not have any problems anymore (40 days and counting). Maybe your operator has same special SIMs in your country...

Last edited: