The future of zukfans.eu

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
Hello everyone...

I've tried to keep from posting this since right after Lenovo closed down ZUK and zuk.com i've seen a huge decline in users here and mostly spam bot registrations filling the moderator queue.

With that said, I didn't and still feel reluctant to close the forum down but given money and revenue lacking to fund the operating costs of a server, domain renewals and other things it may be that the site is going to have to close down.

Let me know your thoughts about this, I wont just switch the site off but I have little options available right now guys... Really sorry.

Mark

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
I see zukfans as the main info portal to ZUK devices, especially Z2 and Z2 Pro.

As it is not clear now and it seems Z3 will come as well in July (according to former ZUK CEO) it would be really nice to hold up this forum.

If you are going to stop it anyway please contact me, maybe we can port it to a new base. I could help with a server I guess.

Maybe it is possible to just cover the costs somehow. Let me know your thoughts ;)

Last edited:

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
I see zukfans as the main info portal to ZUK devices, especially Z2 and Z2 Pro.

As it is not clear now and it seems Z3 will come as well in July (according to former ZUK CEO) it would be really nice to hold up this forum.

If you are going to stop it anyway please contact me, maybe we can port it to a new base. I could help with a server I guess.

Maybe it is possible to just cover the costs somehow. Let me know your thoughts ;)
It wont close tomorrow, but given the traffic stats there is not so many ZUK users around as previously... Yes it needs upgraded to XF 2.0 but I cannot afford the license fee... $170 is too much for me at the minute... You might think ads are working and making money but its actually not the case as not enough users..

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
On avg: 180k page views last month... I think probably is a handful of you guys still dedicated on to the ZUK phone, Z3 seems like a long way off in my eyes, even if it ever comes to be is a big question mark as well...

Hard to run sites with no means of income...

crisps

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Aug 28, 2016
sad to hear that...
If you want to close, plz give us some time to backup some tutorials.

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
sad to hear that...
If you want to close, plz give us some time to backup some tutorials.
If it comes to it the site will be archived somewhere... No worries about that... Just there isnt so much traffic here now dude... its sort of a bit dead which is indeed sad... I myself had huge hopes for ZUK, alas it wasn't to be it seems?

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
It wont close tomorrow, but given the traffic stats there is not so many ZUK users around as previously... Yes it needs upgraded to XF 2.0 but I cannot afford the license fee... $170 is too much for me at the minute...
Is that all ?!

Let's fund this with a few users ?

10 men = less than € 17 each :)

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
When you are out of a job and no income, 170 usd is a lot dude :(
Didn't mean it like that : Thought you also had hosting costs or data usage and stuff like that ;)

Anyway... like I said : Let's pay this stuff with a couple of dedicated users and make sure the website/forum keeps running in the future:cool::D

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
Didn't mean it like that : Thought you also had hosting costs or data usage and stuff like that ;)

Anyway... like I said : Let's pay this stuff with a couple of dedicated users and make sure the website/forum keeps running in the future:cool::D
Yea, the server hosts a few sites and costs a fair bit each month - far more than any means of income from it that's for sure. Paid for with my own money for hardware firewall, routing gear and more.

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
Yea, the server hosts a few sites and costs a fair bit each month - far more than any means of income from it that's for sure. Paid for with my own money for hardware firewall, routing gear and more.
k, so there are some options:

- you can tell us how we can pratical help (amount to be reached, account to send) and run server by your own

- you can give us ability to port all to somewhere else

Lets help you out here mate :)

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
Sounds a bit overkill to me to be honest...

So like @weimerd already said : Maybe it's a good idea to move the website to a more cost effective hosting platform ?!

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
Sounds a bit overkill to me to be honest...

So like @weimerd already said : Maybe it's a good idea to move the website to a more cost effective hosting platform ?!
In your eyes overkill perhaps but there is more than this site to run.... Ive made my mind up so far as to what will happen.

Thanks for the few kind words of support from you guys here... as for the other members of this site, disgraced to see a lack of support!!!!

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
PS... the other issue is no one helps with upgrading the site, I left this community to help run itself but the falling visitor numbers and lack of support for the maintenance of the community just means no one truly cares other than a handful of you guys here... Is no wider support to keep this site alive.

Chromatic

Nov 13, 2017
I'd like to say "keep on providing the help Lenovo is unable to provide us" and " thanks a lot for this"...

No way Lenovo would help ?
Maybe it's time for users to contribute in cash, like so many fans forum...
170$ is the annual maintenance fee + domain?

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
I'd like to say "keep on providing the help Lenovo is unable to provide us" and " thanks a lot for this"...

No way Lenovo would help ?
Maybe it's time for users to contribute in cash, like so many fans forum...
170$ is the annual maintenance fee + domain?
I dont mind to keep it running if there is support mate... But honestly its declined so badly in this 1.5yrs its been up. Yea the Xenforo update is 170 USD... the rest can be managed out...

However given the few supporters...is this worth it?

Guyllheaume

Jul 27, 2016
PARIS
Hi Mark,

I remember one year ago when I finnally got my z2 pro after 8 monthes saving money for it. I was lost with a sh***y vendor rom and so many questions. I came here, young newbie I was, asking for help. And I got it. Quickly. @crisps and @weimerd pointed me to the right direction, i began to learn, to try, to succeed, sometimes to fail. But I always got the help I needed. Since, I try to do the same, with my little knowledge. For me zukfans is a strong and friendly community with few guys always ready to help, and that's the most important to me. Custom roms are updated. Stock Rom is still updated. The brand may be dead, not the phone or the zukers here . It would be so sad to see it ending. I'm ready to contribute in cash if needed, I sadly don't have knowledge to offer.
Anyway whatever the decision you take, thank you very much for this forum.
Sorry for my poor english, cheers mate

Last edited:

MarkH-ZUK

Founder of ZUKFans
Staff member
Jun 3, 2016
Hi Mark,

I remember one year ago when I finnally got my z2 pro after 8 monthes saving money for it. I was lost with a sh***y vendor rom and so many questions. I came here, young newbie I was, asking for help. And I got it. Quickly. @crisps and @weimerd pointed me to the right direction, i began to learn, to try, to succeed, sometimes to fail. But I always got the help I needed. Since, I try to do the same, with my little knowledge. For me zukfans is a strong and friendly community with few guys always ready to help, and that's the most important to me. Custom roms are updated. Stock Rom is still updated. The brand may be dead, not the phone or the zukers here . It would be so sad to see it ending. I'm ready to contribute in cash if needed, I sadly don't have knowledge to offer.
Anyway whatever the decision you take, thank you very much for this forum.
Sorry for my poor english, cheers mate
Thanks dude appreciate the kind words...

As a whole i've kept the forum here and other places as secure and online as possible, going forward things do need updating like the Xenforo code base to 2.0.x but I don't have the income to deal with it.

If people want to club together and get a license for it I'll upgrade the site and give it a bit of a design change as well... It's never easy to see something you create close down and its the last thing I want to do but has to be a point where people contribute back to the site or service to keep it going :)

Guyllheaume

Jul 27, 2016
PARIS
Hello, according to Gizmochina today Lenivo will release a new Zuk device next month.

So, Zuk is still alive and hopefully this forum too!
I saw it in french tech news but Zuk was not mentionned, even if the lockscreen and the "high range phone" gave me clue. Do you have any sources mate ?