Welcome to the ZUK Z2 Forum

loading27

Nov 16, 2016
Hello from Portugal! I've just received my brand new Zuk Z2 Z2131. I bought from GearBest (11/11 deals) and it comes with ZUI Version: 1.9.044 ST. I would like to know what are the advantages to flash my mobile phone with a new rom? Besides the language, I use the mobile phone in english anyway.

micz

Sep 18, 2016
Hello! I'm Micz, I'm from Poland.

Below are mine observations about major and minor flaws of Zuk Z2 bought from banggood[dot]com (ZUI default version: 1.9.044 ST):

Note: If you have the same ROM installed, and some of those below described fuckups are different from your experiences - let me know, and I will edit this. I'm posting this for guys who are looking for info about this phone, before buying it, because I haven't found that kind of stuff, and now I'm stuck ...with my dreams about cheap android power-beast :)

Note 2: If this post is not in the right place in this forum - I'm sorry, and please tell me where to put it.

1. I can't send or receive MMS.
  • PROBLEM: I have tried to manually set MMS configuration, based on some google findings, but with no luck. I have also requested my operator (P4 Play, based in Poland) to send me SMS with configuration, but sadly they do not have config for this model of smartphone. So they send me some generic config, but it didn't worked. My actual not working APN config is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14nHcNJQpMluCTydrWUmLvL3ahWsXLZ8AMc1SP8RKn5I
  • SOLUTION: none
  • WORKAROUND: I decided to don't miss that and use WhatsApp or e-mail to send and receive media files.
2. Google Play Store "Download Pending" issue.
  • PROBLEM: When I try to download an app from the store I get the "download pending", or "downloading" message and that stays like this forever.
  • WORKAROUND: I go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Applications > Google Play Store > tap Force Stop, then Clear Data, then Uninstall update. Then reboot. And then I have like 30 seconds to download desired app from the store, before the store updates itself to the newest version (7.3.07.K-all [0] [PR] 139935798), which causes the trouble.
3. Can't use Permissions Manager
  • PROBLEM: When I go to Settings > Security & Privacy > Permissions, I'm thrown back to Settings screen.
  • WORKAROUND: none
4. Video recording has very poor "frame rate" in low light
  • PROBLEM: When I record something in good lighting conditions everything looks fine, but when I point the camera somewhere darker, the video gets veeeery laggy (it looks like 10 frames per second, or less). I believe it's because the camera needs more time to capture the frames in low light, and therefore the frame rate drops? Don't know... Note: The recorded file's FPS is of course 30fps. It doesn't drop or fluctuate. By "dropping fps" I mean an impression which I get while viewing the recorded video.
  • WORKAROUND: This issue is somehow fixed by installing Open Camera app. Besides of getting rid of the "dropping fps" look, the app offers some pretty useful functions. I recommend it for sure.
5. I can't install custom launchers
  • PROBLEM: Haven't tried too many, but the problem with all those which I have tried was in allowing the launcher to draw on other apps. This had to be done in Permissions Manager... but I can't use it (see point 3.)
6. Can't change welcome screen
  • PROBLEM: I can't change the welcome screen and I'm stuck with this stupid square picture. That's because I can't use other launchers, I suppose. You can change this picture inside this square though. It's done by changing the Wallpaper.
7. Can't change the font.
  • PROBLEM: When I go to Settings > Font, I get thrown into Settings > Wallpaper screen instead.
8. Problems with push notifications for Gmail app
  • PROBLEM: There were big delays in notifications about new emails, or no notification at all while I was using Goggle's Gmaill app. I have tried some tweaks in settings, but with no luck.
  • WORKAROUND: Finally I have moved to myMail app and that move somehow civilized my life. I get notifications, and they are not so delayed (can even say they're instant sometimes... but still - sometimes). The downside is a bit different then in Gmaill app way of managing emails in threads by the myMail app. I had to get used to it. I have also tested BlueMail app, because of the user interface better suited for my needs, but - sadly - it looks like it's worse in terms of Push notifications than myMail.
9. Problem with voice clarity on the other side of the line
  • PROBLEM: While having a phone call, somewhere in the middle of conversation (no specific trigger) my voice becomes not understandable. People on the other side of the line hear shimmers, mumbling, bits of words, and they tell me it sounds like I was talking from beneath seven blankets.
  • WORKAROUND: After starting a warranty procedure based upon that issue, I have found a workaround. This issue is somehow related to "OK Google" detection. So what you need to do is to run Google App. Inside this app go to Settings > Voice > OK Google detection > then toggle the From any screen option ON and OFF and ON again (it depends..., it looks like fiddling with this shit somehow affects the voice quality in phone-calls). The problem has it's workaround, but... that doesn't mean it's gone. From time to time, with no specific reason I hear from the person on the other side of the line the same shit about blankets, and I have to go to those settings and tickle this fucking switch few times.
10. No OTA (Over The Air) updates.
  • PROBLEM: I'm stuck with my version of ZUI. There is no way to update it manually (no such options in settings), and no notifications saying "there's new version of ZUI waiting for you to download and you can be a happy person, we care about you, kisses!"
11. No promised Cloud Service
  • PROBLEM: This cloud service - as I read in the info about it on my device - "will automatically help you contacts, images, SMS backup to the cloud". Nice! But doesn't work. When I go to Settings > Cloud Service i get the screen with big blue button saying Quick login, and below options to either Sign up, or Log in. Tapping Quick login results in info "Network is not connected, please try again after it's connected", and tapping those other two options, results in... nothing.
  • WORKAROUND: other apps and other ways to backup your crucial data. Contacts are held on google account. For SMS I recommend SMS Backup app, which copies your SMS conversations as threads into your Gmail.
12. Weather widget doesn't work
  • PROBLEM: It comes with the clock widget. I should see the time, and below an icon depicting weather (I think). Instead I always see an icon with a cloud and line trough it (meaning that there is ... no weather at all today, I suppose :))
  • WORKAROUND: other weather apps should work. I haven't tested it though.
13. Can't get rid of - as I call it - "BeiJing category" in contacts
  • PROBLEM: When I tap Contacts > Search, i get this little drop-down list of regions, or locations, which suppose to help me group my contacts. Instead it ...do nothing. It has no relevance to the contacts' details, and searching proceeds like in any other device - just type in the name and search the person. So this region category is useless. But I can't get rid of it.
  • WORKAROUND: just... ignore it :)

Experienced users in that forum say that all of above problems will be gone when you flash particular ROM (the Indian ROM for example). I can't confirm that from my own experience, but I will try get trough the flashing process, and hopefully will confirm that later.

If something above should be corrected, or you have another issues to post - let me know, I will edit the post. Thanks!

Last edited:

micz

Sep 18, 2016
It's a nice list, but the ZUI version is very outdated. Update to the latest version and then this list has an impact.
As you see in one of the points above - I can't update. I can only step into hell of installing custom ROMs, based on shady and incoherent knowledge from the web and update that way. No official update option is available for me. And I think that it's good to point it out for those who want to buy this phone, and does not necessarily see themselves witchcrafting the flashing-ROM-magic :)

Sent from my ZUK Z2 using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2016
hey everyone! I'm from Portugal, and I'm waiting for my ZUK Z2, any moment now :) Any opinions on the status of ROMs for the Z2 now? I'm planning to use the stock Indian, from what I've read so far, although I'm also curious about the CM 14.1 :)

micz

Sep 18, 2016
You've got a crippled ROM from some a (re)seller, that's it.

No OTA doesn't mean there is no update.
http://zukfans.eu/community/threads/howto-flash-a-stock-zui-rom-zuk-z2-z2131-only.104/

Search the forum a little bit, all info is here. QPST btw. is an official upgrade method.

Use latest China or Indian ROM.
I think we don't understand each other here :) I know that there's a possibility of flashing a custom ROM, which possibly can solve some of the issues (or maybe even surely can solve, maybe all of them - don't know, haven't tried). But - as I have stated before - my post was to clarify in a noob-friendly way what's broken by default in that particular ROM, and what is possible to repair on a basic non-tech level of approach, without voiding the warranty, or risking anything. And therefore - No OTA actually does mean that there is no update. For non-tech users, expecting out-of-the-box functionality, this phone is useless in those areas mentioned in my initial post. Period. (or if not - please correct me and provide solutions, or workarounds which are not risky).

I encourage all you guys to prepare similar lists for other ROMS as well. Just to clarify pros and cons in a noob-friendly way. I know it's time consuming, but I think... that's also purpose of such forums, right? :)

rolex0815

Jul 18, 2016
I think we don't understand each other here :) I know that there's a possibility of flashing a custom ROM, which possibly can solve some of the issues ...
Here's your error: What I proposed isn't a custom ROM but an official ZUI stock ROM.
And there are reasons, why you possibly don't get any OTA update: geoblocking e.g. for users outside China mainland.

But I fear you don't want to inform or read here, I showed some points to search here, but this is in the end up to you.

micz

Sep 18, 2016
Here's your error: What I proposed isn't a custom ROM but an official ZUI stock ROM.
And there are reasons, why you possibly don't get any OTA update: geoblocking e.g. for users outside China mainland.
That's good that you clarify distinction between custom and official ROM, but still - the link you have posted and the process detailed there is nothing else but... flashing (or am I wrong?). And flashing is not 100% safe process (or am I wrong?). Therefore it's not for users who want out-of-the box quality.

And please - don't tell me that I don't want to read, or I'm lazy learner, or stuff like that. I read and I learn, don't fear for me :) I just want to CLARIFY what is WRONG with that particular ROM, just to show guys who are willing to buy it what they will be dealing with.

I will add this link of yours to my initial post as a workaround, that's for sure. But let's not pretend that this is an easy and safe solution :) CLA-RI-TY!!! :)

And one more thing, before editing: could you confirm which of those banggood ROM fuckups are gone when you flash ZUI official ROM? Just to clarify :)

Last edited:

Vayabody

Jan 12, 2017
Hello everyone!!!!
I am expecting my Zuk Z2 and I am reporting the different Rom.
Trying to learn from those who have been here for some time.

Jan 17, 2017
Germany
Dear All.
I got my ZUK last week. But sill I Did not understand anything. It start´s with the missing "return" Button.
the next problem is, that the Paystore did not start downloads.
So I am not able to download my naviation - whot I need every day.

The Forum discussed always about rooting etc. Did someone knows a usermanual?

Regards forum a realy unluck Guy from Germany.

May I have to send the Phone back, may I have to love Trump. Shoud I kill my Dog. Please help.

Carsten