Z2 can't boot into recovery

Mugen

Feb 10, 2017
Hey guys. So here's the thing. I unlocked the zuk's z2 bootloader using the standard method (fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash unlock unlock_bootloader.img, with the img they sent me via email, and then fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem unlock-go), and then I went to flash the TWRP recovery.

I downloaded the recovery image from the official twrp website and proceeded to flash it with "fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery twrp.img". The flashing was successful. But before restarting the device, I chose the option to boot into recovery, so that the original recovery wouldn't overwrite TWRP. However, the phone does not boot into the recovery, ever. It "shuts down", tries to boot into recovery, and without showing anything on the screen simply restarts to the normal system.

Even flashing a stock ROM in the phone with MiFlash (relocking the bootloader) and trying to boot into the stock recovery does not work.

And, the only method to boot into any recovery that works is to use "fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot recovery.img". But as we know this isn't permanent. I also tried flashing it via "temporary" TWRP and via flashify, but it still doesn't boot into recovery.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, I wanted to make sure what I said was clear Please help guys, what should I do??

Mugen

Feb 10, 2017
1. Use search. It's not difficult, but many questions will disappear.
2. Try to flash img file directly from TWRP
Not being rude or anything, but I as I said in the post, the problem is not flashing the recovery. The problem is that the phone does not boot into it. I flashed it via fastboot, via the "temporarily" booted TWRP and via flashify. All of them flash the recovery successfully, but when I try to boot into recovery, it just doesn't boot into it.....

Nordicus

Feb 8, 2017
@Mugen
I got it. :cool: Just sometimes you have to try all the methods. Suddenly help :)
Try to google. For example, here is a variant:
So, I got it working again. The method was to not flash using fastboot. I actually booted the recovery remotely with

fastboot boot recovery.img

Then flashed cyanogenmod (the system) and gapps from the external SD card. On reboot, the system updated itself and it's working again.
And I can boot into cyanogen recovery mode (but not TWRP, as before).
Seems that it's fixed!

Mugen

Feb 10, 2017
My bad, i forgot to mention that the reason I wanted to flash TWRP was to flash the DU rom. I did manage to flash the ROM + Gapps + Magisk using the temporarily booted TWRP, and the recovery (stock) didn't boot. So i tried flashing twrp after that, and still the same thing. It seems to be a very uncommom error, so I ask any information you can give on what could be happening or how to solve it. Thanks. If a find anything out, I'll post here.

Spanjeli

Mar 8, 2017
Can I flash twrp recovery temporary with "fastboot -i 0x2b4c boot recovery.img" without unlocking bootloader? Ineed to install indian nougat firmware

mixa

Jan 11, 2017
Swiss
Try this.
fastboot -i 0x2b4c erase recovery
then flash twrp official right after.
shut the phone down and start it, let it boot to system, then reboot to recovery.

RealCarlG

Jun 20, 2017
Hi Mugen! I had the same problem and beeing serious I was very desperate, I tried and tried for weeks and nothing! BUT BRO! It was just beeing patient! You did it! You flashed the TWRP, now is just to wait!:
1. Turn on your device
2. Press volume keys to enter to the fastboot menu
3. Choose Recovery
4. Now the device will reboot and show the same thing as always(ZUK,Bootloader is unlocked,blablabla.), and here is when all starts, YOU NEED TO WAIT 5 SECONDS BRO!, AND THEN IT WILL BOOT TO TWRP!
5. Thats all, you're on!
P.D.: Apologize me for bad english :'v

Hope it worked!

Jul 21, 2016
Same issue here. Bootloader is unlocked.
Have flashed latest TWRP, says it is successful. (also tried deleting the recovery before flashing twrp)
When booting into fastboot and choosing recovery I obviously get the 5 sec wait screen. and no matter what I do it always boots into standard recovery.
Is it possible that each time twrp is deleted after i have flashed it? If so what is the work around?

(RealCarlG I tried the reboot wait etc. but then starts in the OEM recovery :(

Edit, tried it again and pressing the up button immediately after i get the zuk logo. Then (real quick i get a small blue bar at the top screen) and the screen turns black (screen it still on, the semi black/grey color). And then nothing..

Edit#2 I feel stupid as hell. I was renaming all the twrp files to twrp.img instead of the full name.. apparently I downloaded the older version
twrp-3.2.3-0-z2_plus.img. But because i renamed them to TWRP.IMG i never found out. Downloaded the newest twrp-3.2.3-1-z2_plus.img. And now am good to go.

Last edited: