Z2 Pro not booting - Red blinking LED

gazm2k5

Jun 28, 2017
Yesterday evening my phone was in a tiny bit of water. Dried it off very quickly.

Later that evening the finger print reader wouldn't unlock the phone and said "hardware unavailable," but I thought nothing of it as it was being a bit funny a week or two ago and then was fine a bit later.

I went to bed with about 30% battery. Woke up, checked the time on my phone, it was 05:58, went back to sleep, must have woke up again at about 7 or 8 and phone wouldn't boot. Wouldn't charge from a battery (I was camping at the time).

Now when I plug it in to charge, I get a red blinking LED and it doesn't power on. I've tried leaving it for a couple of hours, tried different chargers, cables etc. I've tried holding the power button for 3 minutes. I've tried power button and Volume Down. Phone won't display anything.

After plugging into my PC, I managed to see the ZUK logo and then the RR (custom ROM installed) boot animation for a few seconds before it turned off.

Not sure if the battery is buggered or if there's something else I can try! Phone is currently in a bag of rice...
I would just buy a new battery but the delivery from aliexpress is 30-50 days! I have no spare phone so I can't wait that long.

gazm2k5

Jun 28, 2017
Update: Plugged into the computer, held power button for 2 minutes. Nothing happened immediately, but then the ZUK logo appeared. It struggled but after many attempts I've managed to get it into the Redwolf bootloader.

It says 0% battery. It's been plugged in and turned on at the bootloader but is staying at 0%, so I guess that means the battery is dead. Will put it back in the rice and try tomorrow I guess.

Can someone tell me, does the Z2 Pro home button do anything in the boot loader? Mine does not. If it's broken then I might just get a new phone.

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
Check the battery topic and replace the battery : Hopefully a cheap fix and if not you can always buy a new phone :)

Next time do the rice thing first before the phone (or something else) gets damaged! ;)

gazm2k5

Jun 28, 2017
Replaced the battery and it powers on now. Though it's a bit weird, the phone wouldn't power on whilst charging, but powered on fine after disconnecting the charger.

Also plugged in the charger now and it doesn't seem to be charging, started with like 45% and kept going down whilst plugged in. It's now at 30%... might just be a new battery thing, I'll discharged it fully and then recharge it.

gazm2k5

Jun 28, 2017
The new battery discharged and then did the same thing as the old battery (red blinking light) which lead me to believe it was the charging circuit that was actually broken (even though it WAS displaying a charging icon in the OS). I got a new charging circuit, put that in and it's STILL not working... I have no idea what could be broken, but battery is not charging with a new battery and new charging circuit after the tiniest amount of water got on the bottom (finger print sensor area) of the phone.

Since the main board is at the top of the phone, I wouldn't imagine that would be broken, so am thoroughly confused. I can get the phone to boot into the bootloader when connected to PC, but as soon as it draws a bit too much power (like when trying to back stuff up or boot into OS), it turns off.

Looks like I'll need a new phone. :(

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
t.me
The new battery discharged and then did the same thing as the old battery (red blinking light) which lead me to believe it was the charging circuit that was actually broken (even though it WAS displaying a charging icon in the OS). I got a new charging circuit, put that in and it's STILL not working... I have no idea what could be broken, but battery is not charging with a new battery and new charging circuit after the tiniest amount of water got on the bottom (finger print sensor area) of the phone.

Since the main board is at the top of the phone, I wouldn't imagine that would be broken, so am thoroughly confused. I can get the phone to boot into the bootloader when connected to PC, but as soon as it draws a bit too much power (like when trying to back stuff up or boot into OS), it turns off.

Looks like I'll need a new phone. :(
which battery did you choose as replacement? There are some that even cant charge...

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
t.me
I got this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-Z...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But when the water first damaged my phone, the original battery wasn't charging either, so I think the new battery was fine. Something else is broken.
that battery usually should work, even if it has bad capacity in real usage. But anyway I have that one here for testing purpose and it is charging.
Hard to say now what could be the reason.

I guess you already tested various cables and chargers?

You changed port as well?

Gesendet von meinem ZUK Z2121 mit Tapatalk

gazm2k5

Jun 28, 2017
that battery usually should work, even if it has bad capacity in real usage. But anyway I have that one here for testing purpose and it is charging.
Hard to say now what could be the reason.

I guess you already tested various cables and chargers?

You changed port as well?

Yep, tried lots of different cables and power supplies. Replaced the whole port and charging circuit. No luck.

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
t.me
No, which parts should I bake? And what temperature?
take out battery. Put in in oven on top of aluminium foil at max 90 degree and let it in there for about 10-15 minutes.

Did that with some other brand as well after watering it and got it back working afterwards. But anyway I wont take any responsibility so do it at your own risk ;)

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
t.me
you can bake the board only at 180 degree for a couple minutes as well. But I believe it is not an issue with the board