Z2Pro Water Damage - Radios Don't Work

May 26, 2018
Hey,

Just a quick check. After getting my Z2Pro 'slightly' flooded in my pocket (and properly dried afterwards) all the radios stopped working. The phone boots fine, charges etc but none of the radios (WiFi, bluetooth, celular) are working and the phone also gets hotter than usual. It seems like the OS does not see the hardware at all. If I try to switch the WiFi on for example it just doesn't do anything.

So I was wondering if anyone could confirm if all the radio chips are located on the mainboard on the Z2Pro. I am considering getting one from AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000239626626.html ) but wanted to makes sure that the radios are actually on the board.

Also, do you think it's worth investing about $60 in a new board or would it be better to put it towards a new phone. I know it's rather subjective matter but I am curious what you think.

Many thanks for your advice.

nero355

Jan 14, 2017
€ 60 or 60 $ isn't that bad... I would do that if I was 100% sure it would fix the phone! :)

I assume you have already tried to dry it in a big bag or box filled with rice ?!

Mar 19, 2017
If the Mainboard will be Hot, maybe there is a shortcut there. As i know You can buy cleaning liquids, to clean the Board. Maybe the shortcut will be gone than.

May 26, 2018
€ 60 or 60 $ isn't that bad... I would do that if I was 100% sure it would fix the phone! :)

I assume you have already tried to dry it in a big bag or box filled with rice ?!
Ha! That's the $100 question. I assume it should fix the problem. On the other hand though maybe there is also an issue with the power supplied to the board hence it's getting hot. Also, this is assuming that all the radios are on the mainboard. I assume they are as this seems logical but whether this is correct I am not sure.

Yes, I took the whole phone apart and kept it in rice for like a couple of weeks or so :)

May 26, 2018
If the Mainboard will be Hot, maybe there is a shortcut there. As i know You can buy cleaning liquids, to clean the Board. Maybe the shortcut will be gone than.
The mainboard was properly overheating. To the point I couldn't copy any content from the phone after I put it back together without using a powerful fan blowing directly onto the board. It would give me an error message and disconnect after copying a few images etc.

I think there is or more likely there was a short circuit and that's why something got damaged. After keeping the components in rice I also sprayed them with WD40 to get rid of any moisture. Haven't tried the cleaning liquids though but I am not sure if it will help. :confused: