ZUI Security "SafeCenter"

Jun 18, 2018
So I did a quick search and I didn't find any post regarding this "feature" of ZUI ROM's and I think it is a shame since for me it is one of the items that made me LOVE ZUI and my phone...

I am talking about the Security application/system that is embedded in all ZUI ROMs, you can access it through your apps:
It is named "SafeCenter" (even if under the apps or battery usage is identified as Security), but you can also access it through the U-touch controller with a long press (or how ever you set it up).

Screen shot 1 WhatsApp Image 2018-10-30 at 2.19.26 PM.jpeg , Screen shot 2 WhatsApp Image 2018-10-30 at 2.19.26 PM(1).jpeg

So what does it does?
  • Accelerate
    • Manages RAM (shows RAM being used)
      • This is usually the first screen when u open the app
      • Gives you a quick list of apps running (it is not extensive)
    • Provides One-key clean up ram
      • will automatically kill all the running apps
      • It will not kill the protected apps
    • Under settings (upper corner)
      • Activate/deactivate the memory cleaning (or memory release)
      • Select which apps you want to protect (Not to clean when the memory release happens) (do this with the plus upper button right corner)
      • Remove previously selected applications
    • [Not directly in APP]
      • When you list and see all your running apps, you will see a lock.
      • If locked accelerate clean is deactivated
      • If unlocked, then accelerate clean can kill the application when requested or automatically.
      • WhatsApp Image 2018-10-30 at 2.19.26 PM(2).jpeg

• Space cleanup
    • Analyze
      • First screen provides you a quick analysis regarding the amount of clean up space...
      • Cache, Residues, Junk Files, Corrupted files
      • Also provides a button to do the clean up NOW
    • Settings (upper corner right)
      • Just allows you do do automatic (default) or deactivate it.
      • you can set up the automatic towards different sizes of files, etc.
Warning : This is useful, yes... but personally I've found that it deleted some pod cast I wanted to save or other files I wanted to save in the automatic mode... so make sure you know what you are doing when you activate it.
  • Data Usage (the most important one for me ^^)
    • This is my favorite one, in a few words I can control who has internet access and who doesn't.
    • Select sim card (first screen) (you can change sim card by swiping left/right)
      • Here you can see the sim card you are at, and can "calibrate" (this last option seems only to work in China services
      • Calibrate/Settings (upper right button)
        • Choose your data plan from china operators...
        • Add a Data quota
          • By adding a limit, you can block SIM usage when an amount of data is reached.
      • Data top-up
        • Again only China service... to buy more data (I think)
      • Clicking on the numbers of amount of data used
        • You can see each application and the amount of data used.
        • Plus a day/week overview of the amount of data.
      • Network access control (this is the good one!)
        • Mobile network (applies for the SIM you had selected first)
          • In the top right you can change how they are order, enable them all, or disable them all.
          • You see all your applications, and you can enable (will have internet) or disable (will not have internet)
          • At the end of the list, you have System services and Uninstalled apps.
          • In system services, you can only see the amount of data used by those apps (you can activate/deactivate data of this apps ish through android settings... )
        • WLAN (this means Wifi)
          • Same thing as above, but for Wifi or not SIM connections
          • You see all your applications, and you can enable (will have internet) or disable (will not have internet)
Warning : Note this cuts internet access to applications or system applications... So if you deactivate an app, do remember if you ever forget before stating that your app has no internet or is not working correctly.
  • Autostart
    • Shows how many apps are autostart enabled or not
      • By clicking on the numbers you can arrive to the settings
    • Autostart apps
      • Here you can select which applications you want to authorize to autostart
      • Upper right corner you can find : White list and Disable all autostart
      • White list
        • These are the apps you allow to run automatically (not sure what is the difference between allowed auto start apps and whitelist)
    • Associated autostart apps
      • These are the apps that can be launched by other apps
      • You can select which ones you authorize for this
      • Upper right corner you can find : white list and disable all associations
      • White list
        • Same as above, not sure what is the difference.
Warning : Playing with this can change how your phone works... In previous experience my contact sync and other sync would not work given that I had deactivated autostart associations and autostart... So the sync contact application that is launched through settings would not sync and would not launch. The reason was this setting. (or at least that was my understanding and what solved the issue)
  • Permissions
    • This one just takes you to the normal settings (Android) permissions

• Anti-spam (personally don't use it)
    • You can set up SPAM settings for Phone calls/messages
    • Settings (upper right corner)
      • You can turn it on or off, identify messages intelligently
      • Add keyword list to block
      • Add smart phone call settings to block
      • Set up phone numbers you want to block
NOTE : I haven't really used this last one, not sure how it works.

So there you go, a complete Secure system that protects your device, as much as you want.

Jun 18, 2018
Now, some may wonder what I do or how I use it...
(it may give you some ideas..)

• Accelerate
    • I allow automatic acceleration
    • I just lock my 3 main apps ^^ (Pokemon, tasker and whatsapp)
      • This means that my phone will be accelerated or apps will all be closed, besides whatsapp, tasker, pokemon
      • NOTE: Here I would like to add some system apps like Position travel, but I don't seem to be able to select it... If anybody knows how I can achieve this It would be appreciated (and yes, i've had used the lock on all running apps,but the setting disappears almost instantly)
    • And of coruse, I've activated the closure of all the Lenovo basic apps that I don't really use ^^
  • Space cleanup
    • DEACTIVATED
    • After loosing several pod cast, and even photos... I deactivated it... Now I clean my phone whenever I need more space ^^
  • Data Usage
    • Aaaa... love this one
    • My data is not really limited, so I need to control this from my SIM.
    • SIM info:
      • So I all my self: Gmail, whatsapp, pokemon and some other few apps (about 10 max)
      • I deny all other ones
    • Wifi info:
      • I allow almost all application
      • I just block:
        • Those from Lenovo ^^ (or in chinese that I don't understand)
        • Those that are "Free" but will present adds... If not wifi, no adds :p (but also sometimes, doesn't works)
  • Autostart
    • I only allow 4 applications: Whatsap, pokemon ^^, calendar sync, Podcast app
    • Ok sometimes I do add my Contacts sync app, but this is just when I know I am changing phone or updating or something else... Else I don't care about sharing in real time my information to google... so ^^
    • Of course I disable all the Chinese apps
    • I've also removed the whitelist apps that are chinese (although with 4.0 there are new ones that I am still trying to understand)
And well Data-usage and anti-Spam I do not use so no comments ^^

So there you go :)
setting up your Secure settings for ZUI.

And if someone knows how to add position travel in these settings (accelerate mostly).
Let me know!

Cheers!

Last edited:

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
this safe center app is the biggest cancer for our phone sadly. I suggest to deactivate all functions of it and put all apps to white lists.
Reason: This App is troubling push notifications in many cases.

Iike the idea behind the app. But its standard settings are just troubling. And honestly: We use devices here with 6GB Ram. No need of ram management apps here :D

Jun 18, 2018
this safe center app is the biggest cancer for our phone sadly. I suggest to deactivate all functions of it and put all apps to white lists.

Iike the idea behind the app. But its standard settings are just troubling. And honestly: We use devices here with 6GB Ram. No need of ram management apps here :D
Good point, but still i do like controlling which apps are running and when they are running... Even if I have enough memory to run the all...

Call it paranoia

nero355

Jan 14, 2017

Someone told us here in a old topic that the Safe Center stuff is designed to fight Chinese Adware in apps or installed by apps so I guess that's why it exists...

Even Huawei phones have something similar but less annoying ;)

weimerd

ZUKFans Staff
Staff member
Sep 6, 2016
if it is about paranoia I suggest using a CustomRom where you can decide which software is beeing used.

The bad thing with safe center is the point that it is deeply integrated in ZUI and cant be just deinstalled without issues.

So YES if it is about using security software. They can be helpful.

NO to preinstalled Chinese security software that cannot be deinstalled and is only bringing troubles to users

;)
Good point, but still i do like controlling which apps are running and when they are running... Even if I have enough memory to run the all...

Call it paranoia